Zoom is a virtual conferencing tool. In addition to hosting and recording meetings, Zoom can be used for office hours, live lectures, and recording microlectures. Students can use it to communite with classmates, study groups, work on group projects, and record presentations. Staff can use it to record information for the campus community. Watch this example of a video presentation created using Zoom
There may be times you want to live stream your class, hold office hours for students who can't come to meet you in person, or bring a guest speaker to your class without them being in the room. Staff may want to use it to collaborate with colleagues or with someone off campus. Our Live Stream Using Zoom guide will step you through that process.
1. Go to https://csusm.zoom.us/ and login with your campus credentials to get started or download the program.
2. Open Zoom
3. In the Zoom window, click on the New Meeting button
4. It will open Zoom with your video camera turned on or off (depending on your preferences)
5. On the bottom left, click on the Audio button to test your mic and speaker. Click on the Start video button (if desired) to show yourself and not just an image.
6. Open the PowerPoint Presentation or website you want to display.
7. Click to Share Screen Share Screen button
8. Select the PowerPoint presentation window or desktop and click on the Share button
9. You will see your screen display with green around the edges.
10. Roll your mouse over the top of the screen where you see the green bar. A navigation block will display. Roll over to the three dots above More to see recording and other options.
12. Choose the "Record to Cloud" option so you get a link to add to Cougar Courses. Choose "Record on this Computer" if you want to edit and upload to YouTube unlisted. Recording starts right away.
13. If you are muted, you will see a message to unmute yourself.
14. You will see a red light flashing on the green ID section of the navigation bar
during the recording.
15. Use the down arrow to advance your slides as you present your presentation. Open and close other programs as needed if sharing the desktop.
16. When you are finished, roll your mouse over the top of your screen on the green bar to display the navigation bar. Click on the More icon and choose "Stop Recording" from the list.
17. Confirm you want to stop the cloud recording.
18. Cancel the screen share by clicking on the "Stop Share" button on the navigation bar.
19. You will be taken back to the Zoom meeting window
17. On the bottom right, click on the End of Meeting button
18. Click on the End Meeting for All button
19. You will receive an email within a couple minutes confirming the meeting is being processed and available. Instructors will post the "Share recording with viewers" link in Cougar Courses for your students using the URL tool. Students will submit to a forum or assignment in Cougar Courses. Staff will send the link to colleagues via email.