The CSU Chancellor's Office recently approved the Geography B.A. The program is scheduled
to accept its first cohort of geography majors beginning Fall 2021. The CSUSM admission application deadline for the Fall 2021 semester is December 4, 2020.
Students seeking to study geography at CSUSM can also pursue a minor.
Students in the geography program study the global food system, ancient landscapes
in the Middle East and global climate change through hands-on experiences and classes
featuring high impact projects like student research presented at the annual CSUSM
To find out more about the discipline of geography, you can visit the website of the American Association of Geographers (AAG).
To find out about what jobs you can get with a geography degree, check out the AAG's
For more information on the Geography program please contact Dr. Greig Guthey or Dr. Elizabeth Ridder.
Geography Courses Offered and Planned:
- GEOG 100 - Introduction to Human Geography
- GEOG 110 - Introduction to Physical Geography
- GEOG 110L - Introduction to Physical Geography Lab
- GEOG 120 - Introduction to GIS
- GEOG 160 - Food Worlds: Comparative National Cuisines
- GEOG 201 - World Regional Geography
- GEOG 210 - Introduction to Oceanography
- GEOG 250 - Water Resources
- GEOG 305 - U.S. Mexico Border
- GEOG 310 - Climate and Life in the Anthropocene
- GEOG 311 - Earth: The Habitable Planet
- GEOG 316 - Geography of Life
- GEOG 320 - Patterns of San Diego County
- GEOG 325 - America's Urban Areas
- GEOG 331 - Field Methods in Geography
- GEOG 335 - Advanced Spatial Analysis & Statistics
- GEOG 341 - Nature and Society in California
- GEOG 350 - Environmental Geography
- GEOG 352 - Environment, Development & Sustainability
- GEOG 365 - Globalization and Trade
- GEOG 422 - Urban Geography: Cities in Global Context
- GEOG 430 - Geovisualization
- GEOG 431 - Remote Sensing and the Environment
- GEOG 433 - Programming in GIS
- GEOG 435 - Research in Geographic Information Systems
- GEOG 450 - Parks & Protected Areas
- GEOG 460 - Food Systems and Emerging Markets
Please visit our catalog for complete course descriptions.