department menu

I Attended Foreign-Language High School or College

If you went for at least three years full-time to a high school or university where English was not the principal language of instruction, you have met the requirement. This is NOT the same as having taken 3 years of a language. This means everything was in a language other than English: science, literature, gym, etc.

  • If your foreign-language, high-school, or college transcript was part of your admissions packet to CSUSM, Admissions checked the requirement as MET.
  • If you attended high school in a country where official transcripts are not available, please contact Advisor Ms. Hilary Taylor.

If CSUSM does not have that transcript, you have two choices:

  1. Sit for the Proficiency Exam for $91 
  2. Send an original transcript and an official, certified translation to a certifying translation agency. The fee for translation runs about $150; the company will then send the original document and the official translation directly to the address you provide them. Unofficial photocopies or faxes are not accepted. Here is the CSUSM address to use:
    Office of Admissions and Recruitment
    California State University San Marcos
    333 S. Twin Oaks Valley Rd.
    San Marcos, California 92096