The McNair application is now OPEN!
Complete applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
CSUSM McNair Application
Application Deadline: Monday, March 1, 2021
- CSUSM McNair Scholars must be currently enrolled as an undergraduate in a degree program
at the California State University San Marcos.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Must have completed 60 units (or equivalent) by the time of formal entry into the
- Expected graduate date of spring 2022 or later
- Must have an overall university GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Must express a STRONG desire to attain a graduate degree (e.g., Ph.D., master’s degree,
- Must be:
- A low-income student who is also a first-generation college student (parent(s) or
legal guardian(s) do NOT have a baccalaureate/bachelor’s degree) OR
- A member of a group that is underrepresented in graduate education (e.g., Black/African
American, American Indian/Alaskan Native, Latina/Latino/Hispanic or Native Hawaiian
- Completed application form
- Personal Statement
- Two letters of recommendation
- A copy of college transcript from each institution you have attended, including CSUSM
(unofficial is fine)
- A writing sample of at least two pages that was completed within the last year (e.g.,
a paper from a course)
- Verification of income status (Example of tax document)