The ASSIST web site is used to find approved, equivalent courses at Community Colleges for our Nursing Major requirements and
for other General Education and Graduation Requirements.
Approved coursework can change periodically. If you have already completed a course elsewhere, be sure to change the academic
year at the top of your search. We honor coursework that was approved for the academic
year that you completed the course or for the Catalog year when you first began following the nursing major requirements.
For example, if a Child Development course was approved for our major in 2010-2011,
and you either completed the course that year or you were following an ASSIST articulation agreement for our major for that year,
we will honor that course. If you are a matriculated CSUSM student and completed
a course here, we will honor the courses listed on our Nursing Major Course Planner
that we distributed to you at the time you attended the University new-student orientation.
If you haven't met a major requirement course yet, please be sure to follow the most
current articulation agreement on the ASSIST web site for the nursing major.
There are three (3) ways to use this Web site to search for courses:
- To find acceptable GE (General Education) courses at a California Community College,
such as GE A1 (Oral Communication) courses or GE A3 (Critical Thinking) courses, for
- To search for equivalent courses specific to the Nursing Major, such as our BIOL
160 (Microbiology) course.
- To search for courses to meet any portion of the CSU American Institutions Requirement.
Because we accept more equivalent courses for our major than do other deparments at
CSUSM, you must do your search according to the Instructions below, and NOT do any course-to-course articulation searches "By Department".
To Search for approved courses to meet a specific CSU GE Area, such as Area A1 (Oral
Communication) or A3 (Critical Thinking) Courses, for example:
- Open the ASSIST Web Site.
- Select the Community College at which you would like to attend from the first drop-down
- Click on the link titled, "CSU GE Breadth Certification Courses".
- In the area titled, "Select a CSU GE Breadth Area", click the drop down menu and select
the GE requirement you are trying to fulfill, such as A1 or A3.
This will produce a historical view of all certified courses to meet this CSU GE requirement
at that Institution. You will see the columns to the right, which are labeled as "Date
Approved (Apprvd)" and "Date Removed (Rmvd)".
- It is VERY IMPORTANT that you choose a course to take that has not been removed from the list. The far right column of the list indicates when a particular
course has been removed from the list. Do not take a course which has been removed.
Any other course is acceptable from which to choose on the list.
To Search for approved equivalent courses specifically for the Nursing Major, such
as to find an equivalent for our CHEM 105/CHEM 105L Pre-Nursing Core requirement or
BIOL 216 (the Statistics requirement within the major):
- Open the ASSIST Web Site
- Select California University San Marcos from the first drop-down menu.
- Select the Community College at which you would like to attend from the second drop-down
- Under "By Major", select "Nursing" from the drop-down menu of majors.
- This will produce a table which shows the Cal State San Marcos Nursing requirements
on the left side, and the approved course equivalents for these courses on the right
side, for the particular community college selected for the search.
* All courses listed for the Nursing major, which articulate for our BIOL 216 (Statistics
course), will also meet the CSU Area B4 Math requirement within the Pre-Nursing Core.
To Search for courses to be used to meet the CSU American Institutions Requirement:
Do NOT search by Academic Department for a course to course articulation with our HIST 130/131
or our PSCI 100 courses! If you do, you may not be taking the right course for meeting
the American Institutions requirement.
- Open the ASSIST Web Site.
- Select the Community College at which you would like to take such a course.
- Click on the "CSU US History, Constitution, and American Ideals Courses" link.
- You will notice that you must meet three requirement areas to fulfill the CSU American
Institutions requirement. These "requirement areas" are US-1, US-2 and US-3. Be sure
to read any footnotes, which may explain limitations on combining courses to meet
these three requirement areas. These three requirement areas can be met by a single
course at some institutions or through a combination of courses at other institutions.
- If you are meeting the entire American Institutions requirement at Community Colleges,
you will need to make sure that the courses you select to take will, together, meet
all three of these requirements areas. For example, at Palomar College, if you took
CS 101 and POSC 102, you would NOT have met the American Institutions requirement.
This is because at the bottom of the page, they state that only certain combinations
of courses are acceptable to meet the requirement.
- At CSU San Marcos:
HIST 130 or HIST 131 meets the US-1 requirement;
PSCI 100 meets the US-2 and US-3 requirements.
So, for example, if you have already completed RS 102 or HIST 102 at Palomar College,
and you want to complete the rest of the American Institution requirement at CSUSM,
you would take PSCI 100 at CSUSM once attending here.
- IF QUESTIONS, schedule an appointment with your campus Counselor/Advisor.
** The ASSIST Web Site can be used effectively to search for optional courses at multiple
community colleges, which is especially helpful if you are searching for: an ‘open'
course with available seats; a late-start, online or accelerated course; or a course
being offered on a particular day/time.