Required Basic Skills Competency Testing
A testing date will be arranged with our qualified applicants to occur sometime in
May. There will be a fee associated with this testing. Unfortunately, due to financial
restrictions, there won't be any make-ups available, should you not be able to attend
on the testing day given.
Purpose: To determine clinical skills proficiency for the skills taught in NURS201, NURS221,
and NURS323 (intradermal injection only). Math calculations are included in this testing.
This day is also designed to introduce the LVN to the Orem Self-Care Deficit Theory
that is the curriculum framework for our school. Introduction to the nursing process
and nursing care planning is included to help student's bridge to the RN role.
Procedure: Once given the approval by the SON, applicants will register for the Assessment.
Prior to the Assessment, qualified applicants will receive a packet of materials to
review that are the basis for the skills & math testing. There will also be a self-study
module that must be completed on the following topics: Hanging IVPB, blood transfusions,
hanging IVPB, IVP meds, reconstitution of meds, Orem theory framework, and nursing
process & care planning.
Testing Day Instructions:
- The day will open with a brief practice session (90 minutes) and the opportunity to
ask questions of the faculty member present before skill and math evaluations begin.
Please see the Assessment/Training day schedule below.
- For the math test, bring a basic calculator-no PDA or smart phone devices capable
of Internet connection.
- 100% pass rate on skills testing and math testing is required to continue with admission
The skills list you will be tested on include:
- Hand Hygiene/Washing
- Bathing a Patient (demonstrated on mannequin)
- Performing Oral Hygiene (demonstrated on mannequin)
- Performing Oral Care for an Unconscious Patient (mannequin)
- Making an Unoccupied Bed
- Making an Occupied Bed
- Moving and Positioning Clients in Bed
- Transfer of Patients Using Proper Body Mechanics
- Passive R.O.M.
- Preparing a Sterile Field Using a Packaged Sterile Drape
- Donning Sterile Gloves
- Using Personal Protective Equipment
- Administering a Tube Feeding
- Assisting with the Use of a Bedpan
- Assisting with the Use of a Urinal
- Catheterizing the Female Urinary Bladder
- Catheterizing the Male Urinary Bladder
- Applying an External Condom Catheter
- Administrating a Large Volume Enema
- Administrating a Small Volume Enema
- Administering a Retention Enema
- Pulse Oximeter
- Suctioning the Nasopharyngeal and Oropharyngeal Airway
- O2 by Nasal Cannula
- O2 by Mask
- Adding meds to IV solution
- Administering IV meds via IVPB
- Administering meds via SL
- Administering medication via metered dose inhaler
- Peripheral IV insertion
- Changing IV to SL
- Administering a blood transfusion
- Reconstitution of powdered drugs
- IV pump infusion
- IV drug calculations review
- Administering meds via NG tube
- Cleaning a wound/applying a sterile dressing
- Applying a wet to dry dressing
- Applying a wound vacuum assisted closure
- Orthopedic devices: cane, crutches, walker
- Applying elastic bandages
- Inserting an NG tube
- Removing an NG tube
- Irrigating an NG tube
- Irrigating a urinary catheter using a closed system
- Administering continuous bladder irrigation
- Irrigating a colostomy
- Incentive Spirometer
- Suctioning the Nasopharyngeal and Oropharyngeal Airways
- Suctioning the Tracheostomy: Open System
- Providing Tracheostomy Care
- Abdominal binder
Texts used in this assessment program
It is strongly recommended that you use these texts for your skills studying. However,
you may use any text published since 2005 to study for this test.
- Taylor, C., Lillis, C., LeMone, P., & Lynn, P. (2008). Fundamentals of Nursing: The
Art and Science of Nursing Care. (6th Ed). Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer & Lippincott
Williams & Wilkins.
- Lynn, P. (2008). Taylor's Clinical Nursing: Skills: a Nursing Process Approach. (2nd
Ed). Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer & Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Lynn, P. & LeBon, M. (2008). Skill Checklists to Accompany Taylor's Clinical Nursing
Skills: a Nursing Process Approach. (2nd Ed). Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer & Lippincott
Williams & Wilkins.
- Mulholland, J. M. (2007). The Nurse, The Math, The Meds. St. Louis: Mosby