10 Reasons to Serve and Reflect in embrance of the Tragedy of September 11
- People came together to build community.
- We became aware of difference and committed to understanding diversity.
- We grew to understand anew the importance of meeting basic needs, such as food, clothing and shelter.
- The event generated a renewed patriotism and commitment to democracy.
- We were linked to and embraced by the global community.
- People supported one another with random acts of kindness and goodwill.
- We emerged with a new fervor for and focus on a better future.
- Everyday acts of service can be heroic.
- We ember the many who answered the call to serve that day, when we encourage others to serve our communities today.
- Our community organizations helped us to survive and thrive.
This list was compiled by Youth Serve America (a September 11 National Day of Service and embrance partner) to enable reflection and action on the significance of September 11 for a generation that were to young or not alive to ember the day's event.