Math Lab Strategic Plan (2018-2023)
The CSUSM Math Lab fosters a vibrant and welcoming learning environment for students to engage in collaborative learning and develop strong problem-solving skills. The center provides services designed to allow our diverse student population to reach their full academic potential. The Math Lab facilitates independent and self-directed
learning in a peer-based setting to increase student efficacy in quantitative reasoning and critical thinking that will transfer across disciplines and into future careers.
Strategic Objective #1
Maintain strong qualifications of and increase skill-building for Math Lab staff to
enhance services to students and campus community.
A. Develop and implement additional ongoing tutor training using a digital platform.
- Collect and analyze feedback from current training to determine concepts which will
be covered in the online portion of training; work with IITS to create a shared community
page; begin collecting and posting resources and materials.
- Meet with CLASS to select training topics and create modules including short assessment
- Work with lead tutors to further vet the modules; finalize module content.
- Launch new training throughout the course of the semester; assess using multiple methods;
revise as needed.
B. Provide professional development (PD) for tutors.
- Determine types of PD that the Math Lab needs to offer.
- Determine conferences or other PD events tutors will attend.
- Identify resources and financial support for PD and potential travel.
- Create process for selecting tutors, incorporation into CRLA training, and assess
C. Formalize and digitalize recruiting and recommendation process to further develop
a pipeline of prepared tutors.
- Develop marketing materials to inform students about job opportunities (visit relevant
course sections, explore more effective means of posting online, etc.).
- Create online form for faculty and staff recommendations.
D. Direct tutors in development of mathematical resources for students (worksheets,
workshops, videos, study aids, materials for standardized test prep, etc).
- Update current resources and streamline using new template.
- Facilitate tutors in the creation of new resources as part of ongoing training.
E. Support professional development for director.
- Identify types of professional development.
- Identify additional external resources to support conference attendance and membership
in professional organizations.
F. Explore deeper collaboration with STEM Student Success Center and other CLASS centers.
Pursue discussion with director and staff of Math Lab to determine possible avenues
Strategic Objective #2
Steward growth of students served in the Math Lab.
A. Collect and analyze data on B4 requirement completion and success to determine feasible goal for an increase in student usage.
B. Increase visibility and promote services across campus.
- Continue and expand tutor visit to sections of supported courses at the beginning
of every semester.
- Attend relevant campus events and activities per semester to build campus relationships
and promote services.
C. Identify and adopt additional courses to be supported by Math Lab tutoring.
D. Hire additional staff and increase number of leadership roles (aligned with staff
growth) to maintain quality and personal level of student contact and the option of
one-to-one peer tutoring.
E. Extend operating hours to accommodate increase in visits.
F. Acquire larger space.
- Create and utilize a task force to determine needs for space and to help locate new
- Construct list of feasible options for new location.
- Write and submit a space request.
- Begin to prepare center for move.
Strategic Objective #3
Further our outreach endeavors across the campus and into the community.
A. Send tutors to thriving centers on campus to provide specialized tutoring and/or
- Determine method for evaluating which centers should be served and in what order,
based on student need, usage, funding and other data.
- Train tutors to effectively work with selected population centers on campus.
- Collaborate with other centers on campus to extend tutoring to additional campus locales.
- Assess and determine impact of programming through student attendance, qualitative
and quantitative feedback from tutors, tutees and supervisors.
B. Enhance current workshops and develop new workshops.
- Continue to enhance workshops based on student feedback and supervisor observations.
- Determine new workshops to be offered (GRE, CBEST, etc.) based on quantitative and
qualitative data. Create and distribute survey to collect student feedback.
- Develop curriculum, train tutors on content and delivery.
- Assess workshops and decide whether to institutionalize.
C. Participate in community events.
- Participate in Super STEM Saturday; lead tutors in planning and organizing activities
- Explore additional community events appropriate for Math Lab participation.
Strategic Objective #4
Develop ongoing assessment practices. Assess practices in a continuous way with attention
to the feedback loop and necessary revision.
A. Develop a process for measuring the impact of services on student success.
- Identify and pursue a partnership with campus assessment expert; schedule regular
- Create a rubric and develop assessment practices for assessing workshops and other
activities. Use quantitative and qualitative data to assess effectiveness and value.
- Utilize assessments by analyzing workshops/activities each year. Dependent upon the
assessment, improve, modify, or terminate each workshop/activity.
- Proceed yearly until all workshops/activities have been assessed.