department menu

Travel Information and Forms


SUBMISSION DEADLINES to the Provost Office

  • Domestic: 20 BUSINESS days prior to start date of travel.
  • International: 40 CALENDAR days prior to start date of travel to countries with no high hazard warnings, 60 CALENDAR days prior to start date for travel to countries with high hazard warnings.

ALL TRAVEL EXPENSES SHOULD BE:  Ordinary, reasonable, not extravagant, necessary, and supported by a  business purpose or justification.


  • Travel Pre-payments:  Registration and travel costs should only be purchased and recorded in the current fiscal year (before June 30) for travel that will occur after July 1, when the following criteria are met:
    • Registration is required prior to June 30
    • There is an "early-bird" registration discount that is due before June 30
    • The travel includes air and hotel travel to take place in July (exception may be international travel depending on time of travel).  As much as possible, expense FY funds in the FY received.

It is the responsibility of the traveler/submitter to follow the travel guidelines on the PAR (Planning & Academic Resources) WEBSITE. The University discourages incurring any travel related expenses prior to final approval of travel (this will result in no-reimbursement if the authorization request is not approved).

  • Travel request should be printed on one page and have wet signatures, per the President. Green paper is appreciated but not required.
  • All dates and destinations and warnings must be included and match on all forms submitted, including personal travel connected to business travel.
  • Group Travel: Submit a group travel package that includes complete travel request packages for each traveler (each package must be able to "stand alone" in an audit.
  • Units must review all documents and signatures before submitting to the Provost Office.  NOTE:  If the packet is incomplete, incorrect or not in order it will be returned.
  • Split Funding:  If using Stateside and C-CORP funding, you must include both forms for signatures.  Also, do not split costs in categories on the forms, i.e. enter all meals or lodging on one or the other.  One set of documents is all that is needed with the two travel request forms.
  • Split Funding:  If using Stateside and FOUNDATION funding, you must include two stateside travel request forms, one for each funding source, with the expenses from each source on its own form.  Do not put all expenses on both forms.  One set of documents is all that is needed with the two travel request forms.
  • Provost Signature not needed if travel is in Southern California AND under $500. Counties include Imperial, Kern, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Ventura.
  • A funding chartfield and funding approval signature is needed even for no cost travel.
  • All students, employed or not, need a travel request form along with their additional documents below.
  • Interview candidates do not need a travel request.
  • Per Faculty Affairs, prior approval from the Department Chair and Dean is needed for any faculty absence during a scheduled class, see memo and form at this link:  Absence from Class Form
  • Travel training is available for: Stateside and CSUSM Corporation (C-Corp). 
  • C-Corp external grant travel:  Shaun Icasiano in OGSR is available to help complete travel requests and expense claims, contact him at
  • Additional travel questions?  Contact the Stateside or C-Corp travel desks directly.  For foreign travel questions contact Sue Belt in Integrated Risk Management.
  • Questions about Academic Affairs guidelines? Contact Maria Rasimas, Academic Affairs Resource & Operations Analyst, at

Travel Authorization CHECKLIST (revised 10/01/18):

ALL TRAVEL for employees and/or students -SUBMIT IN  ORDER:

  1. NEW Provost Transmittal Form - Print on yellow paper, place on top of documents.
  2. Travel CALC Sheet & Checklist, completed and matches Travel Request
  3. Stateside Request for Travel Approval OR CSUSM Corporation Travel Request PLEASE TYPE, PRINT ON ONE PAGE, INCLUDE ALL WET SIGNATURES, AND WE APPRECIATE GREEN PAPER but it's not required. SEE NEW TRAVEL HANDBOOK
  4. RARE, only if approved by The Provost:  After-the-Fact Travel Memo Template for STATESIDE ONLY FUNDED TRAVEL ONLY (print on letterhead) - Include when submitted outside normal processing time above **rare and unusual circumstances only** Please contact C-Corp directly to request their After-the-Fact Memo Template at
  5. Include delegation authority if Dean is not signing - Always PRINT names of ALL signers.
  6. For all travel, the DEAN or delegate MUST sign for all faculty, staff and students traveling within their Unit, regardless of funding source.  


  • State Department Travel Warnings - Enter country(ies) in  Learn about your destination.  Print risk level information.
  • High Hazard/War Risk list - Write on the printout if country is or is not on the list, include ALL countries traveling to.
  • Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) - Submit a screen shot confirming enrollment and include email confirmation.
  • Foreign Travel Insurance Request
    • Unit MPP is Emergency Contact, use 'On File' for phone.
    • Include all lodging & flight information before submitting, TBD is not acceptable.
    • Complete all information on Question 1 of insurance, US Emergency contact information is required.
    • Dates must match on all documents.
    • If multiple destinations include itinerary with lodging information for each: TRAVEL ITINERARY TEMPLATE
    • Must complete "Additional security measures being taken" on page 3 of insurance request.
    • All dates, destinations, and warnings must be included and match on all forms submitted, including personal travel connected to business travel.
    • CSU International Travel & Requirement to Purchase Insurance Memo (FYI only)

5.  Backup documentation to support estimates including:

  • Official event information (Agenda, Registration Cost, Dates must be included) - please spell out name of conference.  PLEASE PUT BEHIND TRAVEL REQUEST.
  • Meal estimate $55 per day or If traveling to Hawaii, Alaska, or internationally, travelers will use the Federal per diem rates for lodging, meal, and incidental expenses. 
  • Airfare quote  (lowest cost).
  • Lodging quote (onsite or lowest cost) $275 max US (lodging exception should be rare, include explanation).  Lodging Exception Form if over $275 per night (list nightly cost). Federal per diem if international.
  • Auto Rental quote needed (economy rate). INCLUDE DEFENSIVE DRIVING EXPIRATION.
  • Mileage quote, use google maps. INCLUDE DEFENSIVE DRIVING EXPIRATION.
  • Shuttle/Taxi quote plus explanation.
  • Parking (quote if have, or explanation).
  • Faculty only, absence from class form.
  • Domestic travel - check CSU Banned travel states and the exceptions allowed for traveling to those states.



Stateside & Foundation

SMFND/Fund 96xxx (Use Stateside form)

  1. Signature of Traveler
  2. Funding Approving Authority
  3. Approving Authority: must have DEAN/VP signature (of travelers college/unit) or Delegation authority attached (please print name also)
  4. Final Approving Authority: PROVOST (for outside SoCal, over $500 and International include Yellow Transmittal).
  5. President  (routed from Provost Office) International only


SMURS/Fund 92xxx (Submit through C-Corp Docusign) Projects include 85xxx, 86xxx, and 81xxx

Instructions at CSUSM Corp Travel


International travel additional routing:

  • The Provost Office staff will forward the request to Risk Management requesting international travel insurance.
  • Upon confirmation of insurance, Risk Management emails the staff contact, traveler, and Provost Office staff. 
  • When final approval signatures are in place, the Provost Office staff will notify the staff contact when the travel request package is ready to be retrieved.  The approved request is to be held in the department until the travel is complete and a final reimbursement claim is submitted by the traveler.