Welcome to California State University, San Marcos! We are thrilled that you have
chosen to pursue higher education with us. This page will help explain the Early Start
Program on our campus and provide information on how to satisfy your math and/or English
Early Start requirements.
WHO SHOULD PARTICIPATE: Per Executive Order 1110, the Early Start Program serves CSU admitted freshmen who have not demonstrated proficiency
in English/Written Communication and/or Math/Quantittaive Reasoning as determined
by the CSU Systemwide Placement Standards using multiple measures.
Multiple measures are divided into four categories:
- Fulfilled Requirement
- Enroll in GE English/Written Communication and Mathematics/Quantitative Reasoning
- Enroll in Supported GE English/Written Communication and Mathematics/Quantitative
Participation in Early Start is recommended.
- Enroll in Supported GE Written Communication and Mathematics/Quantitative Reasoning
Participation in Early Start is required.
Multiple measures takes into consideration Algebra-Intensive and non-Algebra Intensive
The following majors are considered Algebra-Intensive at CSUSM:
- Applied Physics (Applied Physics, Applied Electronics)
- Business Administration (Accountancy, Finance, Global Business Management, Global Supply Chain Management,
Management Information Systems, Management, Marketing)
- Chemistry (Chemistry, Science Education, Biochemistry)
- Computer Science (Computer Science, Computer Information Systems)
- Engineering (Electrical, Software)
- Kinesiology (Physical Education, Applied Exercise Science, Pre-Physical Therapy, Health Science)
CSU Placement of First Year Students
Who must participate in Early Start?
Students that are considered Enroll with Support, Early Start Required must participate in Early Start.
Students that are considered Enroll with Support are recommended to participate in Early Start.
Students that are consideredEnroll with Support, Early Start Required must participate in Early Start.
Students that are consideredEnroll with Support are recommended to participate in Early Start.
Early Start 2019 Important Dates
- February 14: Official Test Scores Due
Local high school visits for Early Start registration. Students can get help registering
for the correct Early Start courses.
- May 14: Early Start course registration starts
- May 31: Early Start Information Session registration closes.
Early Start courses begin at CSUSM.
- June 1: Early Start Information session.
Attend the event to receive help with Early Start course registration.
- June 2: Early Start priority registration closes.
- June 24: Early Start courses start.
Early Start courses in progress at CSUSM.
Early Start courses come to an end at CSUSM.
- August 2: Deadline for Early Start course activities
- August 26: First Day of Classes