The Planning, Assessment, and Professional Development (PAPD) department leads the
Division of Student Affairs in developing and maintaining a strategic planning process
that guides and informs decision makers to ensure that departmental/programmatic efforts
are in alignment with University and Divisional priorities.
We are committed to promoting a culture of strategic planning and assessment in which
decisions are driven by data. This is in an effort to maximize the application of
resources to best meet the needs of our students. Our goal is for our students to
succeed both academically and developmentally.
To support this effort, each department within the Division of Student Affairs engages
in an ongoing cycle of strategic planning. This involves establishing mission-driven
multi-year goals, typically with a three year horizon, intended to either improve
and enhance existing services, or implement new processes to best meet the needs of
our students. Annual objectives are then formulated to advance the goal in an intentional
fashion. Periodic status checkpoints are established, and end of year summative action
assessments are conducted and reported to provide vital information to campus constituents
and decision makers. Assessment results are evaluated to refine and recalibrate goals
as needed, and to inform the development of subsequent annual actions in a reflective
Strategic Planning Process
- Review your department’s mission statement and identify major themes of focus.
- Create or review existing broad three-year goal statement around each major theme
from them mission statement.
- Create specific objectives for the coming year to advance the goal.
- Identify the tactics you will use to achieve your objectives.
- During this phase, consider how you will assess your outcomes at the end of the year.
- Map your goals to one or more divisional strategies. Divisional strategies are listed
- Implement your strategic plan over the coming academic year.
- Assess your progress and outcomes.
Strategic Planning Guide
Relationship to Program Review
This process realates directly to your annual program review and the information for
both processes will be reported together on the Annual Strategic Planning and Program Review Report. Please review the Strategic Planning and Program Review Diagram for clarification of the relationship between these two processes.
Divisional Priorities and Strategies 2018–2021
1. Promote Holistic Student Development
- 1.1 | Enhance student life
- 1.2 | Foster holistic wellness
- 1.3 | Engage students and build community
2. Facilitate Graduation and Readiness for Lifelong Success
2.1 | Provide student services that support student success, retention, and graduation
2.2 | Support underserved students
2.3 | Integrate the co-curricular model into programs and services
2.4 | Intervene to support students with academic and personal challenges
3. Pursue Educational Equity
- 3.1 | Facilitate access to reflect demographics in our region
- 3.2 | Develop multicultural competency among students and Student Affairs personnel
- 3.3 | Nurture environments that are respectful to all
- 3.4 | Ensure inclusive and supportive programs and services
- 3.5 | Lead campus initiatives in support of Title IX
4. Exemplify Principles of a Learning Organization
4.1 | Engage in data-informed decision-making
4.2 | Align organizational structure and resources to optimize impact
4.3 | Invest in individual and team learning and recognition
4.4 | Continuously improve programs and services
4.5 | Strategically communicate divisional impact on student success
4.6 | Attend to divisional workplace climate
If you have questions about strategic planning for Student Affairs, please contact, firstname.lastname@example.org.