department menu

Who to Contact to Report

Call 9-1-1 if you are in the midst of any kind of emergency, immediate harm or threat of harm.

The University has designated a Title IX Coordinator to monitor and oversee overall compliance with laws and policies related to nondiscrimination based on sex. The campus Title IX Coordinator is available to explain and discuss: Your right to file a criminal complaint (in cases of Sexual Violence); the University’s relevant complaint process, and your right to receive assistance with that process, including the investigation process; how confidentiality is handled; available resources, both on and off campus; and other related matters.

If you have experienced Sexual Violence you are encouraged to seek immediate assistance from police and healthcare providers for your physical safety, emotional support and medical care. The campus Title IX Coordinator is available to assist you in notifying University police, if you wish. University police can escort you to a safe place and transport you to a hospital or a sexual assault response center for a medical examination, if needed. University police can also provide access to a confidential sexual assault advocate. If you would prefer not to notify University or local police, you are strongly encouraged to seek assistance from the campus Title IX Coordinator who can provide you with information on your options, rights and remedies.

CSUSM Title IX Coordinator: 

Dr. Bridget Blanshan
Address: Craven 3600
Phone (760) 750-4056

CSUSM Deputy Title IX Coordinator for Athletics: 

Athletic Director Jennifer Milo
Address: Clarke Field House 106C
Phone: (760) 750-7108
Monday - Friday 8am to 5pm, Closed during campus closure days

University Police:

Address: 425 La Moree Road
Phone: (760) 750-4567

Local Police: San Diego County Sheriff San Marcos

Address: 182 Santar Place, San Marcos, 92069
Phone: (760) 510-5200

U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights:

Phone: (800) 421-3481 or 
If you wish to fill out a complaint form online with the OCR, you may do so at:

The White House Task Force to Protect Students from Sexual Assault:

On Campus Medical & Counseling Services Student Health and Counseling Services

Address: 120 Craven Road
Phone: (760) 750-4915
Monday - Friday 8am to 4:45pm, Closed during campus closure days

Off-Campus Services Center for Community Solutions
Address: 240 S. Hickory St., Suite 110, Escondido, CA 92025
Phone: (888) 385-4657 (24 hour hotline)
Office Hours: 9-5 M-F, but advocates are available 24/7 by calling the crisis line.

Your Reporting Options

The University's primary concern is the safety of its campus community members. The use of alcohol or drugs never makes the victim at fault for Sexual Violence. Moreover, victims should not be deterred from reporting incidents of Sexual Violence out of a concern that they might be disciplined for related violations of drug, alcohol or other University policies. Except in extreme circumstances, victims of Sexual Violence shall not be subject to discipline for related violations of University policy.

Criminal: Reporting to University police and/or local police is an option at any time following a Sexual Violence incident. If you choose not to report to the police immediately, you can still make the report at a later time. However, with the passage of time, the ability to gather evidence to assist with criminal prosecution may be limited. Depending on the circumstances, the police may be able to obtain a criminal restraining order on your behalf.

Administrative: You may report to the campus Title IX Coordinator any incident of Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, or Sexual Violence (e.g., Rape, Acquaintance Rape, Dating Violence, Domestic Violence or Stalking). Contact information for the Title IX Coordinator is listed above. The Title IX Coordinator will provide you with written and verbal information regarding applicable University complaint procedures for investigating and addressing the incident.

The campus Title IX Coordinator will also discuss with you any reasonable interim remedies the University may offer prior to conclusion of an investigation or potential disciplinary action to reduce or eliminate negative impact on you and provide you with available assistance. Examples include: Adjustment to University work assignments, course schedules or supervisory reporting relationship; requiring the accused to move from University-owned or affiliated housing; immediately prohibiting the accused from coming to the University; or prohibiting the accused from contacting you. These options may be available to you whether or not you choose to report the Sexual Violence to campus police or law enforcement. The Title IX Coordinator remains available to assist you and provide you with reasonable remedies requested by you throughout the reporting, investigative, and disciplinary processes, and thereafter.

If it is determined that University policy prohibiting Sexual Violence was violated, the perpetrator will be subject to discipline, up to and including dismissal from University employment or expulsion from the University. You are entitled to be accompanied to any related meeting or proceeding by an advisor of your choice. However, if you do not wish to participate in an investigation or hearing process, you have the right to decline to do so.

Health/Counseling/Clergy: You may choose to seek advice and assistance from physicians, psychotherapists, professional counselors, clergy, sexual assault and domestic violence counselors and advocates, including individuals who work or volunteer for them.

Civil Lawsuit: You may choose to file a civil lawsuit against the perpetrator, whether or not criminal charges have been filed. A civil lawsuit provides you the opportunity to recover actual damages, which may include compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain, suffering and emotional distress.

You may also choose to obtain a protective or restraining order (such as a domestic violence restraining order or a civil harassment restraining order). Restraining orders must be obtained from a court in the jurisdiction where the incident occurred. Restraining orders can protect victims who have experienced or are reasonably in fear of Sexual Violence, including Domestic Violence, Dating Violence and Stalking. Your campus Title IX Coordinator can offer assistance with obtaining a protective or restraining order.

Non-reporting: You are strongly encouraged to report any incident of Sexual Violence to the police and/or campus Title IX Coordinator so that steps may be taken to protect you and the rest of the campus community. However, non-reporting is also an option.

How to File a Complaint under University Complaint Procedures

Federal and state laws require that the CSU adopt and publish complaint procedures that provide for prompt and equitable resolution of Sex Discrimination complaints, including Sexual Harassment and Sexual Violence.

CSU Executive Order 1096 sets forth the university’s systemwide policy and complaint procedure for Discrimination, Harassment and Retaliation complaints made by third parties and employees not eligible to file a complaint or grievance under a collective bargaining agreement or whose collective bargaining agreement incorporates the CSU systemwide complaint procedure.

CSU Executive Order 1097 is the systemwide policy and complaint procedure for all complaints of Discrimination, Harassment or Retaliation made by students against the CSU, a CSU employee, other CSU students or a third party.

The campus Title IX Coordinator is available to provide you with written and verbal information regarding the applicable University complaint procedure for investigating and addressing your reported incident. Contact information for the Title IX Coordinator is listed above.