The Emergency Loan program is for current students who have unique or unexpected expenses
occur. As the emergency loans are intended for those scenarios, and have a repayment
deadline of eight (8) weeks after approval, students should carefully analyze their
budget and repayment ability prior to applying. Students can borrow up to a maximum
of $500 for each Emergency Loan.
Emergency Loan Terms & Conditions
- Must be registered for current term.
- Must be in a degree-seeking program.
- Student account must be current and free of any financial holds.
- No defaults for any prior emergency loans.
- Availability of the loan check is dependent upon the application submission date (loans
are typically processed in 2-4 business days)
- Repayment of Emergency loans must occur no later than the due-date, which is eight
(8) weeks from the loan processing date.
- If receiving financial aid (including Federal Direct Student Loans), CSUSM is authorized
to deduct from my financial aid disbursement(s) any amount needed to repay my Emergency
Loan. This may occur on, or before, the loan due-date.
- If the loan is not repaid by the due-date, your account may be subject to a $15 late
fee every 30 days after the due-date, up to a maximum of $45. In addition to late
fees, a hold may be placed on your account which will prevent service from the University,
including registration and transcripts.
- Should your loan obligation become delinquent and assigned to a collection agency,
the information submitted with the loan application may be used for collection purposes.
Applying for an Emergency Loan
To apply for an Emergency Loan, please contact the Cashier’s Office:
- By email: email@example.com
- By fax: (760) 750-3158
- In-person: Cougar Central (Craven Hall 3800) M-F 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Upon confirming eligibility, the Cashier’s Office will make available, via your Student
Center, an online application for the Emergency Loan.
Upon approval and processing (typically 2-4 business days), applicants will be notified
that their check is ready for pick-up in the Cashier’s Office.