Request Community Partner for Faculty
A University Community Partnership Agreement is important because it establishes guidelines and policies for a quality internship experience. If your student wants to work with a particular organization that is not on the database, you may fill out a request to have the organization added. See the steps below:
Steps for Requesting a New Community Partner
1. Talk with student to review the site descriptions and duties they will be give. Discuss if the service learning site is appropriate and meets the objectives related to the course
2. Submit a "Faculty Service Learning Site Request" Form: https://app.calstates4.com/csusm/faculty_sl_site_request Please make sure the contact information is correct before submitting.
3. The Community Partner will then be contacted by the Department of Service Learning
to complete a Request to Initiate Partnership application to begin the University
Partnership Process. This is a 2 - 6 week processing time.
We will reach out to the organization to request the following:
1) A request for university community partnership and 2) A signed partnership agreement. Once we have obtained all necessary documentation, your site will be uploaded and you will be contacted directly.
Students Next Step:
Make a temporary placement: In the meantime, students must make a temporary placement in the site "Pending Approval from the Department of Service Learning" in the database. This site serves as a placeholder and will inform both instructor and the Office of Service Learning that a request has been submitted.
All Students in a Mandatory Service Learning Course must have a database placement (regardless of community partner status) no later than Week 5 of the semester.
If we do not hear back from the site or if they refuse to sign the agreement, Students may still proceed with the service learning and both student and faculty must follow these steps:
We will contact the requested site to begin the partnership process within 48 hours of receiving the form. This process can take several weeks as we require the following from the internship site: 1) A request for university community partnership and 2) A signed partnership agreement. Please work with your site to ensure they have submitted the requested information. Once we have obtained all necessary documentation, your site will be uploaded and you will be contacted directly.
- Ensure the service learning site is appropriate for the course and aligns with course guidelines.
- Make a placement in the database under the site, “Pending Approval from the Department of Service Learning”.
- Know that by proceeding with this internship, the student will assume full responsibility and liability while interning at the unapproved site. It is important to review the University Liability Waiver during the placement process.