Apply for the 2016 Peer Mentoring Program
What is the Peer Mentoring Program?
The primary purpose of the Peer Mentoring program is to increase the retention rate of first-generation minority and underrepresented college students. Priority consideration is given to students who are the first in their immediate family to attend college and not participating in a CSUSM specialized program.
How will the program benefit me?
First-year students who participate in the Peer Mentoring Program will be able to:
- Describe how they are connected to the campus
- Use the resources available to be successful at CSUSM
- Explain effective strategies for achieving personal goals
- Examine personal identity and develop a greater understanding of self
How are the Learning outcomes accomplished?
- Encourage intentional approaches to getting involved at CSUSM
- Provide accountability and expectations
- Connect you with CSUSM faculty and staff
- Offer assistance based on the individual needs articulated by you
- Complete a thoughtful application for the Peer Mentoring Program
- Utilize Peer Mentors by tapping into their knowledge, passion, and experience
- Meet with Peer Mentors in person
- Be honest about your experiences on campus
- Attend the Welcome BBQ on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 from 4:00PM-7:00PM
- Participate in meetings/workshops throughout the Fall semester (Wednesdays; 4:00PM-5:00PM)
- Attend the Semester-End Celebration on Wednesday, December 7, 2016 from 4:00PM-6:00PM
Attendance is a necessary part of being in the Peer Mentoring program. There is also a commitment to be a part of the program for the entire Fall Semester.
Applications to be a mentee for 2016-2017 Peer Mentoring Program are now closed.