department menu

MA in Education FAQs

Application Questions

Do I need to take the GRE and the CBEST?
Our Administrative Services program does not require you to take the GRE.  Passing CBEST scores are, however, required by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) as a requisite for obtaining the Preliminary Administrative Services Credential.

How do I apply?
Applying to the School of Education is a two-part process. Part one of the application process is to apply to CSUSM. This is through a system called CSU Mentor.  Part two of the application to the MAEd & Advanced Credentials Programs is the Supplemental Application to the School of Education. Please visit our How to Apply page for application instructions.

If I graduated from CSUSM, do I still need to send in official transcripts? 
Yes; prior transcripts are not kept on file for an indefinite amount of time.

How do I request Financial Aid?
You may access:


Program Questions

How are the classes organized?
The Educational Administration program is designed for the working teacher/school leader.  As research shows that collaboration, networking, and rich dialogue enhance learning, the course of study is organized in a cohort model of approximately 20 students. This is a 12-month accelerated, hybrid program model including face-to-face and online instruction. Classes will meet online and on selected Saturdays during the academic year. During the summer, students will attend additional week day and Saturday classes. 

What technology do I need to support my class work?
A laptop, ipad, or handheld device that can access the internet is an important tool to bring to class.  The courses will introduce the students to new applications and software to become adept at leading 21st century teaching and learning.

What is the cost of books for the class?
As more books are available for online rental or in digital applications, the cost is dropping.  The faculty selects textbooks that are references in most school leaders’ libraries.

What is the cost of parking?
In general, our classes meet off campus in the San Marcos Elementary Cal State classroom.  If on campus, most students pay for parking by the hour or get a day pass.  Current prices can be found at  Carpooling and shared parking are recommended.

Are any of the classes conducted off campus?
Several of our classes are held at schools around North County. This gives candidates a chance to see the variety of demographics, facilities, leadership, and student outcomes at the elementary, middle, secondary, charter, and other schools in our area.  The school visits will be announced as they are scheduled.  Candidates are required to submit Release of Liability forms when classes are held off campus.

How will I be prepared to apply for an Admin job when I am done with the program?
During our coursework, you will experience perspectives from a variety of leaders, guest speakers, school visits, and field experiences.  You will also read important works that guide today’s schooling and have time to reflect on yourself as a leader.  Finally, you will conduct research in an area that speaks to your passion in education.  The final semester class gives an opportunity to refine your resume, participate in mock interviews, and define your leadership platform. 

Who can I contact that recently completed the program?

What are the Student Appeal and Grievance Policy and Procedures?