Your  Account:

SofA Travel

This page is intended for School of Arts faculty and staff (08.06.19)

If you are traveling anywhere in your role as a faculty member, you will need to notify the department AC as soon as possible and follow the steps below to file your travel paperwork.  Please follow these steps so that your travel request and reimbursement claim can run smoothly.

  • Domestic travel - SoCal AND under $500:  ALLOW 15 days’ notice (MPP)
  • Domestic travel - All domestic outside SoCal:  ALLOW 30 days’ notice (MPP, Provost)
  • International travelALLOW 60 days’ notice (MPP, Provost, President)
  • International travel - High hazard/War risk - ALLOW 90 days’ notice (MPP, Provost, President, Chancellor)

You are welcome to submit your information ahead of those deadlines.  

Please note that there are some states nationally and many places internationally that the University will not approve.  Some states are restricted for travel per Assembly Bill 1887 and the Chancellor’s Executive Order. More information about Assembly Bill 1887 and the list of restricted states is available at Travel Prohibition, and you can read the Chancellor’s Executive Order.

Before You Travel: 

Step 1:

Please fill out the SofA Request for Travel Approval to submit your travel details and estimates to your AC. This process allows you to compile all of the necessary information to give to your AC and ensures that you are claiming everything you are eligible to be reimbursed for.  If you have nothing to claim, please type n/a in the relevant boxes. You will also be emailed a copy of the form once you press submit.

Submit any relevant preapproval paperwork to your AC. Once these items are received and the entire online form is filled out and received, your AC will then prepare the preapproval form and contact you to sign your paperwork.  

If you are traveling internationally, you must fill out and submit to your AC the International Travel Paperwork Required Documents. Please see the Academic Affairs Faculty International Travel page for more information. 

International Travel need to know information.  Travel to High Hazard areas require Chancellors Office approval first before insurance can be procured.

Please print and submit to your AC:

Step 2:

If you are going to miss ANY class during your travel, please send an email explaining the arrangements you made to cover your classes AND fill out the Absence From Class Form.

Step 3:

Are you claiming mileage?  Any state employee who is driving on university business must complete the Defensive Driving Program before traveling to receive mileage and parking reimbursement.

Step 4:

Per the CSU Travel Procedure G-001 when traveling within the US, lodging rates are not to exceed $275 per night before taxes and resort fees, excluding internet and parking.  You may request an exception to this procedure by filling out Lodging Cost Exception Preapproval form. Please fill out the form, sign, and submit to your AC.   

During Your Travel: 

Step 5:

During your travel, please keep track of your expenses. You will need to provide this information to your AC along with all of your receipts detailing all of your expenses when you return from your trip. You must save all of your receipts during your trip - including food receipts. 

Need help keeping track of expenses? Take this Travel Claim with you.

You must provide proof of attendance by saving your name tag and the agenda and/or copy of the conference program if applicable. 

After You Travel:  

Step 6:

Please submit your list of expenses along with all of your receipts, proof of attendance, and any additional travel documents to your AC. Once these items are received, your AC will then prepare the claim form and contact you to sign your paperwork.  

For more information about the CSUSM travel policies and procedures visit University Travel. If you have any Questions, email SofA AC.