Your  Account:

Moving & Relocation

View the Employee Move and Relocation Campus policy and the Relocation Quick Guide.

To submit relocation expenses for reimbursement, please follow these steps:

Step 1: Compile all supporting documentation, including itemized receipts for expenses over $75, copy of offer letter, signed Moving Expense Regulation Acknowledgment, and signed Repayment Acknowledgment.

Step 2: Complete Relocation Expense Claim 262 and attach supporting documentation.

Step 3: Route for signature via the Adobe Sign Relocation Form.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Can I be reimbursed for moving from two locations?
    No, per policy relocation is defined as a one-way trip from the former primary residence. This does not include secondary residences or additional locations. 
  • Is first month’s rent reimbursable?
     No. Rent, or first month’s mortgage, are not reimbursable per HR policy. 
  • My current lease will not expire for 6 months, is this reimbursable?
    Yes, if obtaining the new position requires the settlement of a lease on the employee's former residence, the employee may receive the actual and necessary cost of settlement of the unexpired lease of a maximum of one year. Reimbursement shall not be allowed if the appointing authority determines that the employee knew or reasonably should have known that relocation was imminent before entering into a lease agreement.
  • What is reimbursable when selling my residence?

    Actual and necessary selling costs may include:

    • Brokerage commission
    • Title insurance
    • Escrow fees
    • Prepayment penalties
    • Taxes, charges and fees fixed by local authority required to consummate the sale of the residence
    • Miscellaneous seller's costs customary to the area that may be reimbursed if determined appropriate by the appointing authority
  • I will be moving with my spouse/domestic partner. Are their travel expenses reimbursable?
    An employee and spouse or domestic partner may be reimbursed for relocation travel expenses (defined as a one-way trip from the former residence to the general area of the new campus or other primary job location) in accordance with the CSU Travel Procedures, with the exception of mileage which is to be reimbursed at the federal standard mileage rate for moving expenses if approved by the Chancellor. When authorized, travel expenses for spouses or domestic partners will be reimbursed on the same basis as travel expenses for employees.
  • What if my receipts are in my spouse’s or domestic partner’s name?
    It is best to have the receipts in the employee's name, but if there are receipts in the spouse's or domestic partner’s name, please include a short memo stating the name of the spouse/domestic partner.
  • Can I be reimbursed for packing supplies (tape, boxes, bubble wrap, etc.)?
    Yes, however, should employees elect to move themselves, reimbursement may not exceed the costs that would have been incurred had a commercial moving company been used.