What is a text-based tutoring?
Text-based tutoring is tutoring over Microsof Teams chat. It is much like texting
except you have many more powerful tools at your fingertips. With this service you
- keep the chat log for later reference
- recieve links to valuable digital resources
- collaborate* on the same Word or PDF document while still messaging
- share your screen or see the tutor's screen to navigate resources (only available on the Teams app)
- end the session with clear list of strategies for continuing your writing process
*Note: We will only annote your work, not proofread or change it's content.
How to Do It
- Make an appointment.
- Prepare for the session by gathering digital versions of necessary materials (i.e.: assignment prompt, your
- Log into Microsoft Teams at least 10 minutes before your appointment.
- Your tutor will contact you to ask for your materials and provide information about the session.
- Have a great session at the time you reserved!
When making an appointment
- Proceed to www.appointments.csusm.edu
- Select The Writing Center
- Select only "Chat with us on Teams messenger"
- Select an available slot (highlighted in green) that works best for you!
- Recieve a confirmation email from Accudemia
When preparing for the session
After your confirmation email from Accudemia, you will recieve an email from your
tutor with instructions on how to prepare for the session. Follow your tutor's instructions.
Prepare to use Teams by reviewing the following information:
- Basics of Teams chat
- Uploading a document
- Viewing a document while chatting. After uploading a document, click on it to work on it within Teams. At the top right-hand
side of the document, click the chat icon to resume chat while working with the document.
When logging into Teams
To access Teams and other Office365 apps navigate to office365.csusm.edu. When logging in, please use your Microsoft log-in:
Google Log-in: email@example.com
Microsoft Log-in: firstname.lastname@example.org
For the best experience, download the Teams application, available for all devices.
Your tutor will message you 10-minutes before your session time inviting you to upload your materials.
During the session
Work with your tutor to address your writing concerns. Expect your tutor to ask you
questions to better understand how best to guide and redirect your writing process.
After the session
Send feedback about your session to email@example.com. We strive to always improve our services!