About Online (Email) Writing Consultation
If you would like to have an online writing consultation, please send your request
to the Writing Center email address (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Along with your request, please submit the following:
- draft of your paper
- completed Online Consultation Agenda Form
- prompt for your writing assignment (if you have one)
Our Online Consultants will send feedback directly to your email. Online Consultants
will respond to your paper as a whole (not line-by-line). Please note: We will respond to any specific questions you ask, and our feedback will generally
focus on what we call "global concerns": thesis, organization, development, etc. We will not proofread or edit your paper for you. We will typically be able to respond to a draft within 3-4 business days. We may be able to respond sooner, depending on the number of drafts we are working
with. Please note: We do not accept writing for GEW 101 online. Please bring your writing to the Writing
Center in Kellogg 1103 for in-person help.
About Online (Video) Writing Consultation
To make the appointment:
- Make an appointment, at csusm.edu/writingcenter (click on the big blue box on the
left-hand side of the page that says “Make a Writing Center Appointment”
- Select your desired date for your appointment
- Select “Writing Center” in the box labeled “Center”
- Click on “Search”
- Select the desired time and consultant
- Select the class of the assignment you will be working on
- Select the Service you would like
- Under “Notes” include the words “Online Webcam Appointment”
- Email email@example.com at least three working days before your appointment time.
- In your email, include answers to the following questions:
- What is your name and student ID number?
- What is your appointment date/time?
- What would you like help with during your appointment? (list 2-3 concerns)
- Attach your prompt
- Expect an acknowledgement email back within 24 hours or the next business day
How to prepare for the appointment:
- 5 minutes before your appointment, check to make sure your webcam and microphone are
working, ensure that your volume is on. Be in a location with a steady internet connection.
- Pull up the most recent copy of your assignment/essay
- At the start time of your appointment, log in to your student account on hangouts.google.com
- Wait for an invitation from your Consultant from firstname.lastname@example.org
- Accept the GoogleHangout invitation
What to expect during an appointment:
- Once you have accepted the invitation, click on “screenshare” on the upper left-hand
side of the screen. This will allow your consultant to see and interact with your
- The first few minutes of your appointment time may be spent figuring out technical
difficulties, please be patient.
- The consultant will ask you questions regarding your essay and will guide you towards
the betterment of your essay. If you have grammatical concerns, you will work together
with the consultant on these types of revisions.