The Critical Issues Team is advisory to the President and Vice Presidents, charged
with the following:
- Proactively and reactively address campus concerns and issues.
- Receive and develop university response to campus concerns and issues.
- Make recommendations to the President and Vice Presidents via the Chief of Staff on
actions to address campuswide concerns or issues, which may include communications
strategies, training, programming, or commitment of university resources.
- Respond to early alerts regarding events, activities, demonstrations, or gatherings
that may involve or have adverse impacts to campus or on university operations.
- Review upcoming or unanticipated events to assess security and other university resource
needs, and develop university response messaging.
- Develop protocol for responding to unplanned or disruptive activities and incidents.
Make recommendations for changes to university policies, procedures, or protocols.
- Mobilize during immediate or unplanned activities to take immediate actions within
- Meet as needed to establish processes and protocols and to respond to situations.
Critical Issues Team Membership:
- Chief Communications Officer – Co-Chair
- Dean of Students – Co-Chair
- Chief of Police
- Lieutenant, University Police
- Dean, Academic Programs
- Associate Vice President, Inclusive Excellence
- Associate Vice President, FAS Administration
- Associate Vice President, Student Life
- Director, Legislative Affairs
- Chief of Staff
Other consultation may occur as needed with the following:
- Vice Presidents
- Associate Vice President, Faculty Affairs
- Title IX Coordinator/DHR
- Director, Employee and Labor Relations
- Risk Manager
- Faculty Experts
Meeting Frequency: Meets Bi-Weekly or More Frequently, as needed
Communication Protocol: The Critical Issues Team is a university committee appointed
by the President and includes cross-divisional representation. The co-chairs and committee
communications, inquiries and recommendations come directly to the President via the
Chief of Staff, rather than any usual communication channels in the division. The
Chief of Staff will update the President, Presidents Administrative Team, and Legal
Counsel, as appropriate.
Effectiveness: The team has proven effective at proactively monitoring arising issues,
recommending strategies to effectively resolve and respond to events, as well as providing
talking points to senior leaders. Further, several protocols and processes have been
developed and/or updated for managing critical incidents.
To contact the Critical Issues team, email firstname.lastname@example.org