- College of Education, Health and Human Services
- School of Education (SoE)
- About the SoE
- Prospective Students
- Current Students
- Educator Preparation Provider (EPP) Assessment Data
- Outreach/ Partnerships
- Programs Offered
- Middle Level Credential
- Multiple Subject Credential
- Single Subject Credential
- Special Education Credential
- Special Education Add-On Credential
- MA - Educational Administration Option
- MA - General Option
- MA - Literacy Education
- MA - Special Education Option
- Ed.D. - Educational Leadership
Dual Language Certificate
The local Dual Language Certificate is a program within the Master's of Arts (MA) in Education-General Option program so that candidates completing the DL program can apply their courses towards a MA in Education-General Option - a 30-unit degree program. Candidates can complete the local DL Certificate coursework in two to four semesters. The DL Certificate courses will be offered fully online in order to include a wider representation of candidates from various communities.
For candidates seeking the Dual Language Certificate only, open university enrollment is available through Extended Learning.
Student Learning Outcomes
The learning outcomes are addressed throughout the four classes.
Candidates will understand, analyze, and reflect on the major concepts, principles, theories, and research related to Dual Language Education through:
- content instruction in the primary and second language to native speakers and English learners,
- curriculum development, program assessment, and inclusion of students with special needs or struggling learners,
- data-informed instruction and assessment of linguistically diverse students, and
- cross-cultural competence for students and implications for educational leadership in diverse societies.
Courses Required (12 units):
EDUC 656 - Principles of Dual Language & Multilingual Education (3 units)
EDUC 657 - Cross-cultural Competence for Educational Leadership in Diverse Societies (3 units)
EDUC 658 - Practices and Strategies for Bilingualism/Multilingualism and Biliteracy/Multiliteracy Development (3 units)
EDUC 659 - Curriculum Development, Program Assessment and Inclusion for Dual Language and Multilingual Education (3 units)