Specialized MBA (SMBA) applications are processed on a rolling basis. A Faculty Admissions
Committee makes admissions decisions, which will be done only with a complete application
The minimum requirements for admission are:
1. Have completed a four-year college course of study or an appropriate baccalaureate
degree (or equivalent preparation) from a regionally accredited institution or from
an international institution that meets CSUSM accreditation standards.
2. Be in good academic standing at the last college or university attended.
3. A Grade Point Average (GPA) of “B” (3.0) or better in the last 60 graded semester
units, from a WASC-equivalent university. Only regular courses from four-year colleges
and/or universities will be used in calculating an applicant’s GPA—no extension courses
or community college courses will be included.
4. Provide two letters of recommendation.
5. Provide a Personal Statement.
6. Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) Official Score Report
- Minimum score requirements:
- Total score of 500
- 30th percentile score in the Verbal and Quantitative sections
- 4.0 in the Analytical Writing and Integrated Reasoning sections
- The Faculty Admissions Committee will use the best GMAT score taken within the past
- If you hold a master or doctorate degree in a quantitative field you may be approved
for a GMAT waiver, but you will still be required to satisfy the Graduate Writing
Assessment Requirement (GWAR) in the SMBA program.
- If you have not taken the GMAT you may be admitted conditionally, and submit your
scores at a later date. Summer 2018 conditional admits must submit official GMAT scores by May 1, 2018.
- GRE scores may be submitted in lieu of the GMAT.
- If you hold a master or doctorate degree in a quantitative field you may indicate
on the SMBA application that you would like for your application to be reviewed for
a GMAT waiver.
- GMAT fee waivers are available based on financial need and there are only 10 waivers
granted per year. Please email the Financial Aid & Scholarships Office at email@example.com to request a fee waiver code.
- Please note: Exceptions may be made to the above GPA and GMAT requirements by the
Faculty Admissions Committee.
7. All graduate applicants, regardless of citizenship, whose preparatory education
was principally in a language other than English must demonstrate competence in English.
Those who do not possess a bachelor's degree from a postsecondary institution where
English is the principal language of instruction must satisfy the English Language
Proficiency Requirement with one of the following:
- TOEFL score of 80 iBT
- IELTS overall band score of 6.0, writing score no lower than 6.0 and no section score
Conditional Admission for English Language Proficiency
If you do not meet the English language proficiency requirement for graduate admission
you may apply for conditional admission. The conditional admission requirements are
- TOEFL score of 61 on the Internet based test with a score no lower than 19 on the
writing section and no section score below 14 or IELTS overall band score of 5.5 and no section below 5.0.
- Submit the American Language and Cultural Institute English Language Conditional Admission Application.