Faculty Workload - Assigned Time
These divisional guidelines establish a consistent practice for the administration of faculty assigned time. Awarding of assigned time is governed by the Faculty Collective Bargaining Agreement between the California State University (CSU) and California Faculty Association and relates to guidance from Faculty Workload Policies and Procedures EP&R 76-36. Deans are responsible for ensuring compliance with workload policies and procedures and have authority to implement supplementary guidelines for their respective college. Any supplemental college specific standards must comply with CSU policy and the guidelines outlined herein.
- EP&R 76-36 Faculty Workload Policies and Procedures
- CBA Article 20
- Assigned Time and Additional Employment: Audit
- What is Assigned Time? Mapping Professional Development (PD), Training Stipend (TS), Additional Employment (AE), or Assigned Time (AT)
- Academic Affairs Guidelines for Assigned Time
- Faculty Assigned Time Presentation: Tracking & Accounting for Faculty Workload (coming soon!)
- New Assigned Time (AT) Process and Guidelines in InfoReady
- Faculty Assigned Time Requests must be entered each semester through InfoReady
- Assigned Time and Additional Employment MOU Template
- Please include a formal memo with each assigned time budget transfer or additional employment hiring offer, everything should be in writing rather than verbal or email offers
All required approvals for assigned time must be obtained in advance, before the work begins. Without advance approval, work has not been authorized and cannot commence.
- UNDERSTANDING ASSIGNED TIME:
- Full Time Faculty Total Workload = 15 WTUs (9 teaching, 3 service, 3 research).
- Faculty are often given assignments that fall outside of their scope of teaching.
When this happens, their
workload must be adjusted. This means their teaching workload gets reduced to accommodate the new assigned
time being offered.
- Part Time/Lecturer Faculty are hired to teach the courses that otherwise would have been taught by the Full Time Faculty.
- The department sponsoring (hiring entity) the new assigned time reimburses the college at the CSUSM buyout rate for the number of units/WTUs the faculty is being 'bought out' assigned time for, current rate at CSUSM is $2,200 per WTU to go towards the pay for the lecturer hired.
- The pay for the Full Time faculty does not change, just the assigned time workload.
- Faculty are often given assignments that fall outside of their scope of teaching. When this happens, their
- NEW PROCESS beginning AY 24/25:
- Prior to the audit there was not a formal process for tracking and approving Assigned
- InfoReady is a paperless system to request and record faculty assigned time.
- Allows for a digital workflow with a data feed with PeopleSoft, once the assigned time is approved it will auto populate the Term Workload page for the faculty.
- Email announcement will be sent out to when it is time to submit assigned time each semester with the deadline to submit prior to the semester starting.
- Faculty submits Assigned Time Request in InfoReady (all assigned time that is not included on the instructional schedule, including service, research, sabbaticals, grants, committees, etc.)
- Academic Resources team reviews request for accuracy and accepts or rejects InfoReady
If Accepted, reviewers are assigned to begin the routing approval process.
If Rejected, notification is sent to requester. No reviewers assigned.
- Reviewers submit their approval in order assigned.
- Academic Resources team sends out notification via InfoReady for requests being Awarded or Rejected once all reviews have been completed.
- Once awarded, the Term Workload page in PeopleSoft CS will get automatically populated
through InfoReady outbound daily feed.
- Progress reports for assigned time were an additional audit requirement, InfoReady will automatically send an email prior to the end of the semester for the faculty to report their progress.
- STEP BY STEP GUIDE (COMING)
Faculty submit all Assigned Time in InfoReady:
(InfoReady link active March 1 through day before semester begins)
Contacts for questions regarding Assigned Time guidelines or processing:
- FACULTY: Please contact the Dean, Associate Dean, or Lead Analyst of your home college
- STAFF: Please contact Maria Rasimas or Malachi Harper