Paralegal & Legal Studies
Paralegal Certificate Program
This intensive, nationally acclaimed program is designed to educate those who seek to assist trial attorneys, interview witnesses, investigate complex fact patterns, research the law, and assist in preparing cases for courtroom litigation. The instruction is practice-oriented and related to those areas of the law in which paralegals are most in demand. The Paralegal Certificate Program will teach you how to work as a full-time or part-time paralegal, or how to open your own freelance business.
This program is designed for beginning as well as advanced legal workers or those interested in pursuing career options in this exciting field.
Program offerings start six times a year and are offered in seven week sessions.
Both the Introduction Paralegal Certificate and Advanced Paralegal Certificate must be completed to be recognized as a Paralegal by the State of California.
* Required Materials: Materials for the courses can be purchased by CLICKING HERE or call 1-800-522-7737
Paralegal Certificate Course (90 hours/ 9 CEU's)
An introduction to paralegal studies, providing the foundation for the study of becoming a paralegal. During the seven week course, you will gain an understanding of the American legal system and learn how you can be of assistance in the exciting field of law.
Course topics include:
- Legal Terminology, Documents, Ethics, and Litigation Process
- Introduction to the Evidentiary Predicate
- Identifying Relevant Authority
- Introduction to Legal Research
- Legal Research Practice
- Legal Writing and Appellate Procedure
Advanced Paralegal Certificate Course (270 hours/ 27 CEU's)
This course will provide you with a working knowledge of legal authority: how it is used in the litigation process and how to locate it through legal research. You will also learn the basics of law office management, substantive law (such as criminal law, domestic relations, real property law, and bankruptcy), and informal and formal advocacy.
Course topics include:
- Constitutional Law
- Criminal Law
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (mediation)
- Victim Advocacy
- Business Law
- Bankruptcy Law
- Advanced Legal Research
- Estate Planning
- Water Law
- Intellectual Property
- Immigration Law
- Education Law
- Criminal Procedures
Other Legal Certificates
- Advanced Legal Research & Writing Certificate Course (online)
- Legal Nurse Consultant Training (online)
- Software Essentials for the Law Office-NEW! (online)
- Personal Injury for Paralegals-NEW! (online)
- Legal Investigation Certificate Course (online)
- Paralegal Certificate (Introduction & Advanced) are eligible for Workforce Investment Act (WIA) funding
- Paralegal Certificate (Introduction & Advanced) are eligible for Military Spouse funding (MyCAA and CAA)- visit the Military Spouse page for more information or apply on the AI portal
- For additional information regarding Paralegal degrees and scholarships please visit www.paralegaldegree.org/Careers.