AVP Human Resources and Campus Enterprises Annual Report
Office of the AVP, Human Resources and Campus Enterprises
The Associate Vice President is responsible for advising and making recommendations to the Vice President relative to overall university objectives, policies and plans wherever legal, risk management, safety, human resources, and enterprise matters are involved.
- Campus Enterprises
- Clarke Field House/University Student Union
- Human Resources and Equal Opportunity
- Risk Management
Office of the AVP, Human Resources and Risk Management
- The Associate Vice President is responsible for advising and making recommendations to the Vice President relative to overall university objectives, policies and plans wherever legal, risk management, safety, human resources, and enterprise matters are involved.
Attended Student Union decentralization workshop at the Chancellor’s Office to discuss the decentralization concept and new procedures for managing Student Union funding and reporting.
- Conducted significant research and review of emergency planning information, processes, and requirements and the State Emergency Management System protocols and practices to assist in the development and maintenance of the campus-wide emergency program.
- Presented emergency management, preparedness, and SEMS training sessions including table-top exercises to various campus departments, campus emergency response teams, and at all New Employee Orientations.
- Provided campus tours to six groups of San Marcos Fire Department personnel (which involved every individual that may respond to a possible emergency on campus) to increase awareness of the layout of Craven Hall, locations of water hookups, various fire systems on campus, and the changes to the campus entry points during the construction of the Business Building.
- Met with the San Marcos Fire Marshal to discuss the Fire Department’s involvement in campus emergencies, and to develop a partnership with the city’s Emergency Preparedness Manager.
- Attended Chancellor's Office workshop regarding the financing of non-state capital projects in preparation for financing and constructing the first campus parking structure.
- Assumed responsibility and oversight of the Emergency Management Coordinator function and business continuity function.
- Assisted in the mid-year budget review process with the Clarke Field House/USU and began developing streamlined control processes for the live tracking of expenditures.
- Acquired needed supplies and furniture to establish the Campus Emergency Operations Center which included the purchase of a mobile emergency generator.
- Developed the campus Building Marshal program and acquired supplies to support the program.
- Researched and submitted bids for the purchase of emergency radios for emergency personnel and Building Marshals to ensure necessary communication capabilities with University Police and external agencies during an emergency.
- Chaired the Priority Use of Facilities Committee and presented final report, recommendations and implementation plans to Executive Council for approval.
- Developed a web site template to replace the current Official CSUSM Policies and Procedures index page which is more user friendly and will assist users in finding campus policies which may be referred to by different titles.
- Assisted many departments within the FAS division in re-designing and updating department websites.
- Worked with campus litigators and campus departments to coordinate information needed to meet court deadlines for discovery in several lawsuits.
- Served as Vice Chair of the Campus Police Task Force; assisted in final compilation of committee’s report and presentation to the VP, FAS.
- Redesigned the evacuation maps for the Kellogg Library to accurately portray the building layout and evacuation routes.
- Conducted regular updates of the Official CSUSM Policies and Procedures database.
- Updated the parking financial analysis in preparation for meetings with the Chancellor’s Office on financing the first campus parking structure.
- Maintained compliance with EO 921 by creating an Emergency Preparedness web site, updating the campus emergency plan, coordinating the creation of department business continuity plans, and acquiring a roster of all mutual aid agreements, MOUs, and campus resources that may be needed during an emergency.