Project Title: Health Science San Diego
Health Science San Diego 1.0
Advisor: Bruce Nichols
Description: Four student teams focused their research on San Diego's rapidly developing bio-medical industries, specifically;
- Pharmaceuticals, Diagnostics, and Biotechnology
- Biomedical and Biomedical Devices
- Education, Research, and Development
The objective: To understand how these industries are related and how they can help each other to position San Diego as the #1 health sciences cluster in the the United States.
Project Title: San Diego Airport Exploratory Study
San Diego Airport Exploratory Study 2.1
Advisor: Dr. Glen Brodowsky
Description: Over the past two years, students in the FEMBA program at CSUSM have completed the first two phases of a study concerning a new international airport in San Diego County. The first study concluded that the ideal location for the new airport would be just south of Camp Pendleton in Oceanside. The second study investigated the impact of a new international airport on the Tri-County Region defined as North San Diego, Southwest Riverside, and Southern Oranges Counties.
Building upon the findings of the first two studies, the current study investigates the following:
- Funding models for major airport construction projects.
- Attracting major airline hubs to the region.
- The potential impact of attracting international travel to and from the region on various sectors of the regional economy.
San Diego Airport Exploratory Study 2.0
Advisor: Dr. Glen Brodowsky
Description: Having chosen the Camp Pendleton site in 2013 as the best location for a new airport during the first phase of the project, our corporate sponsor Qualcomm commissioned a second phase of the study. This phase was designed to focus on issues, concerns, opportunities and challenges of bringing an international airport to the region by the year 2040.
The report is comprised of five chapters. These include:
- Defining the tri-county region served by the proposed airport.
- Benchmarking against other regions served by multiple airports.
- Sustainably Meeting the ground transportation needs of serving the new airport.
- Employment and multiplier effects of building and operating the proposed airport.
- Political considerations spanning the tri country region affecting the airport project.
San Diego Airport Exploratory Study 1.0
Advisor: Dr. Beverlee Anderson
Description: The Project was designed to update previous airport studies by examining five salient aspects germane to any future airport decisions. The information related to five selected topics (Demand Projections; Economic Implications; Infrastructure, Traffic & Transportation; Political Implications; and Potential Demographic Changes) was updated with the most current data available. Using both quantitative and qualitative tools, data collected from secondary and primary sources are analyzed. The results of the project(s) will be useful in any future airport planning processes.
Demand Projection: Allen Farberov, Matt Hyatt, Marco Rangel, Matt Rendina
Economic Implications: Josh Bond, Tolga Demircay, Armando Garcia, Brian Priebe
Traffic & Transportation: Mazen Aboufakhr, Brianne Dailey, Dani James, Bhumika Talsania
Political Implications: Brett Campfield, Yina Li, Greg Uke
Demographic Changes: Casey Davidson, Brad Smith, Brian Walton