Admission into the CSUSM M.S. in Speech-Language Pathology program requires meeting
the general admission requirements for graduate studies at CSUSM and these additional
For required forms, more details, or to start your application, see our How To Apply page.
- A minimum last 60 units grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better.
- All applicants, regardless of citizenship, who do not possess a bachelor's degree
from a post-secondary institution where English is the principal language must satisfy
the English language proficiency requirement.
- Bachelor Degree in speech & hearing sciences and/or disorders, as well as ASHA basic
science requirements* OR Bachelors degree in another field AND ASHA basic science
requirements* AND CSUSM SLP prerequisite courses (see below).
View online prerequisite courses available at CSUSM this semester!
- SLP 150 - Introduction to Communicative Sciences and Disorders (Formerly EDSL 350)
- SLP 201 - Hearing Disorders and Measurement
- SLP SLP 251 - Language Development and Assessment for Practitioners (Formerly EDSL
551 or SLP 351)
- SLP 320 - Anatomy and Physiology of the Speech and Hearing Mechanism (Formerly EDLS 320)
- SLP 357 or PHYS 357 - The Science of Speech and Hearing
- SLP 364 - Cultural Diversity in Schooling (OR EDUC 364 OR ID 340)
- SLP 391 - Clinical Phonetics and Analysis of Disordered Speech
- SLP 450 - Diagnostics for Speech Language Pathologists (Formerly SLP 260 or EDSL 360)
- SLP 491 - Neural Correlates in Speech-Language and Swallowing Functions (Formerly
- EDUC 380 - Applications in Child and Youth Development (OR PSYC 330)
- MATH 142 - Basic Statistics (OR PSYC 220) (Formerly MATH 242)
ASHA Basic Science Requirements*
In accordance with the American Speech-Language Hearing Association (ASHA) 2014 certification standards (standard IV-A), applicants must have demonstrated knowledge in the following areas through academic
coursework. The CSUSM prerequisite courses identified above in BOLD satisfy each of
the ASHA coursework requirements.
- Biological sciences: Human or animal biology
- Physical sciences: Physics or Chemistry
- Social/behavioral sciences, and
- Statistics: stand alone, NOT research methods
Interview Day: Candidates may be invited to an on campus interview day as part of
the applicantion process. This interview is an opportunity to ensure this program
is a good match for the student and vice versa.
Admissions Requirements For Accepted MS SLP Applicants Only*
Applicants accepted to the Master of Science in Speech-Language Pathology will also
be required to submit:
- Official Certificate of Clearance
- Successful completion of the Basic Skills Requirement (for example, the CBEST).
Further instructions will be given to admitted students during the May 2018 online
orientation. Submission deadline will be early August 2018.
How to Obtain a Certificate of Clearance
For information on how to receive your Certificate of Clearance, please select one
of the following links:
How to Satisfy the Basic Skills Requirement
The Basic Skills Requirement may be satisfied in a number of ways. The CBEST is most
commonly submitted to meet this requirement. For a list of acceptable options to meet
the basic skills requirement, please view Basic Skills Requirement.