All students applying to the Business Administration program are initially classified
as Pre-Business by the Office of Admissions.
Business Status for Transfer Students
Incoming transfer students will initially be classified as Business Status with the
option selected in your CSUSM Admissions Application. To maintain Business Status,
you must submit a Business Status application to the CoBA Advising Office by July 1, 2019.
Students who do not submit an application and/or do not qualify for Business Status
will be moved back to Pre-Business Status and dropped from their enrolled upper-division
- You may apply for Business Status again in a future semester if you repeat classes
to become eligible.
- If you wish to change your Business option, please indicate this on your Business
Status Application and adjust your courses accordingly.
- Please refer to your option checklist (2019 link upcoming when it becomes available) for courses you will be taking when you have Business Status.
Important Notes about Business Status:
- Students must earn a minimum grade of 'C' in each Pre-Business/Business course. Courses
may not be taken credit/no credit.
- A minimum GPA of 2.65 is required for Pre-Business Core coursework.
- If your GPA falls between 2.5 and 2.65, you may be subject to a Business Status waitlist.
Students who are waitlisted for Business Status are encouraged to repeat courses in
which they earned a 'C' in order to raise the grade/GPA for future Business Status
- The minimum Pre-Business GPA is subject to change each academic year, depending on
- Students are not required to complete all Lower-division General Education Requirements
prior to applying for Business Status.
- If official transcripts have not already been submitted to the Office of Admissions,
a copy of your non-CSUSM transcripts must accompany the Business Status Application.
- The College of Business Administration reserves the right to accept or deny any non-CSUSM,
- Course syllabi may be required for review.
- Please refer to the ASSIST website to verify articulated coursework.
- Transcripts submitted to CoBA are in addition to the official transcripts required
by the Office of Admissions.
Pre-Business Core Coursework
||Managerial Accounting (prerequisite: ACCT 201)
||Business Writing (prerequisite: GEW 101 B or the equivalent)
||Survey of Calculus
*Any courses completed more than 10 years ago must be repeated.
Important Things to Know about the Pre-Business Core:
- Lower-division Pre-Business Core courses (24 units) are prerequisites for Business
Status and upper-division Business courses.
- These courses may be taken at a Community College.
- Please refer to assist.org for course equivalencies.
- Once you are at sophomore standing (30+ units), declare your Pre-Business option in
- You may select from the following Pre-Business options:
- Pre-Business Accounting
- Pre-Business Finance
- Pre-Business Global Business Management Entrepreneurship
- Pre-Business Global Business Management Information Systems
- Pre-Business Global Business Management Marketing
- Pre-Business Global Supply Chain Management
- Pre-Business Human Resources Management
- Pre-Business Management Entrepreneurship
- Pre-Business Management Information Systems
- Pre-Business Management & Organizations
- Pre-Business Marketing