Are you our next Beckman Scholar? How would you like to participate in a program that provides individual research mentorship and financial support? This scholarship program is for remarkable (yes that can be you!) CSUSM biology, biotechnology, biochemistry or chemistry undergraduate students. Students who receive this award will become Beckman Scholars and be supported and mentored in an independent research project over two summers and the intervening academic year.
At CSUSM, each Beckman Scholar will:
- Over a 15 month period receive $18,200 in stipend support, $2,800 for research supplies and travel, plus $5,000 in support goes to their research mentor for further help with developing a mentor and research plan and supplies
- receive 1:1 research and career mentoring from their faculty research mentor
- participate in the CSUSM Summer Scholars and Puentes Programs
- be provided travel and lodging to the annual Beckman Scholars Research Symposium and other conference opportunities
- become and be connected with Beckman Scholars alumni who now hold research and professional positions worldwide
Please explore the navigation links at the left to learn about eligibility and how to apply to this scholarship. We have two scholars from our first (2021-2022), and will be able to support one scholar in Year 2 (2022-2023), and Year 3 (2023-2024).
About: In 2021, CSUSM was 1 of just 12 universities nationwide that received a three-year Beckman Scholars Program award from the Arnold & Mabel Beckman Foundation. Watch the video below to learn more about the national Beckman Scholars Program. Dr. Arnold Beckman was a prolific inventor, extraordinary chemist, professor at Caltech, and along with Mrs. Beckman a giving philanthropist.