The College of Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics’ Summer Scholars Program provides students a rich opportunity to conduct research while working closely with a faculty researcher. This 10-week program provides students with an intensive research experience along with seminars and training for enrichment.
1. Be an undergraduate student at CSU San Marcos or a student at a local community
2. Prior to applying, you must have a faculty mentor commit to training you if you are accepted to the program.
3. International student participants are required to have a U.S. bank account and a U.S. mailing address to receive their grant.
- Receive a stipend for their participation
- Attend the kick-off meeting on June 3 from 9am – 2pm
- Work on their research project approximately 20 hours (part-time) or 40 hours (full-time) per week
- Attend weekly Summer Scholars events and activities on Wednesdays from 12:00pm-1:30pm on campus
- Present a research poster at the Summer Scholars Showcase on Friday, August 9
- Complete mandatory surveys on your experience and growth during the program and career progress in future years.
Summer Scholar Graduate Mentor Program
The Graduate Student Mentor program provides an opportunity for graduate students to mentor Summer Scholar undergraduate students and apprentices, while performing their graduate student research over the summer. Graduate student mentors will provide guidance to undergraduate students working in their research group and help with the activities planned throughout the summer.
Summer Scholar Apprentice Program
The apprentice program aims to help rising sophomores gain experience with research
and career opportunities in STEM, over the summer. Summer Scholar Apprentices come
to campus 5 times during the summer to meet our Summer Scholars doing research on
campus, to shadow a researcher, to network with others in their field, and to gain
mentorship from STEM faculty. Apprentices earn a stipend and attend the end of the
summer Showcase in August.