department menu

CoBA Pre-Business Core

All students applying to the business administration program are initially classified as Pre-Business by the Office of Admissions.

Students who have successfully completed the Pre-Business Core need to submit a Business Status Application to the CoBA Advising Office. Once submitted, their status will then be changed from Pre-Business to Business Status by a CoBA advisor. Business Status is necessary in order to register for upper-division business courses.

 Do not submit your Business Status Application until you have been officially admitted to CSUSM.

For new transfer students, applications will be processed in time to register for upper-division business classes at Orientation. If applications are submitted during orientation, please allow 3-5 business days for them to be processed.  

Important Notes:

  • The minimum grade in every Pre-Business and Business course must be a C or better—courses may not be taken credit/no credit.
  • The Pre-Business Core must be completed with a minimum GPA of 2.65.  However, if your GPA falls between 2.5 and 2.65, you may be subject to a waitlist for business status.  Students who are waitlisted for business status are encouraged to repeat courses in which they received a C to raise grade and their GPA for future consideration of business status.
    • Please note that the minimum Pre-Business GPA is subject to change each academic year. 
  • All Lower Division General Education requirements do not have to be completed prior to applying for business status.  
  • The UC Berkeley GPA calculator may be helpful in computing your Pre-Business Core GPA.
  • Official transcripts/grades for non-CSUSM coursework must accompany the Business Status Application—the College of Business reserves the right to accept or deny any non-CSUSM, non-articulated coursework (course syllabi may be required for review—please refer to the ASSIST website to verify articulated coursework).
  • Transcripts submitted to CoBA are in addition to official transcripts that students must send to the Office of Admissions.