All students applying to the business administration program are initially classified
as Pre-Business by the Office of Admissions.
Students who have successfully completed the Pre-Business Core need to submit a Business Status Application to the CoBA Advising Office. Once submitted, their status will then be changed from
Pre-Business to Business Status by a CoBA advisor. Business Status is necessary in
order to register for upper-division business courses.
Do not submit your Business Status Application until you have been officially admitted
For new transfer students, applications will be processed in time to register for
upper-division business classes at Orientation. If applications are submitted during
orientation, please allow 3-5 business days for them to be processed.
- The minimum grade in every Pre-Business and Business course must be a C or better—courses
may not be taken credit/no credit.
- The Pre-Business Core must be completed with a minimum GPA of 2.65. However, if your
GPA falls between 2.5 and 2.65, you may be subject to a waitlist for business status.
Students who are waitlisted for business status are encouraged to repeat courses in
which they received a C to raise grade and their GPA for future consideration of business
- Please note that the minimum Pre-Business GPA is subject to change each academic year.
- All Lower Division General Education requirements do not have to be completed prior
to applying for business status.
- The UC Berkeley GPA calculator may be helpful in computing your Pre-Business Core GPA.
- Official transcripts/grades for non-CSUSM coursework must accompany the Business Status
Application—the College of Business reserves the right to accept or deny any non-CSUSM,
non-articulated coursework (course syllabi may be required for review—please refer
to the ASSIST website to verify articulated coursework).
- Transcripts submitted to CoBA are in addition to official transcripts that students must send to the Office of Admissions.