department menu

Recycling FAQ

  • Which recycling containers should I use when outdoors?

    We provide side-by-side trash and recycling recycling containers throughout campus.  To make recycling even easier in 2017 we changed to "single stream" recycling where ALL recyclable material can be placed in the one container. Our waste hauler uses a sophisticated sorting facility to separate the different materials.

     outdoor trash cans

  • What about indoors?

    • Individual offices are supplied with blue recycling containers for desk side use.
    • Common areas, conference rooms and break rooms, large blue containers are provided.

    recycling and trash

  • How often are the recyclables collected?

    • The large containers located both indoors and outdoors are serviced daily or as needed. 
    • Desk side containers are to be emptied in to large containers by user.  They will not be emptied by staff. Please do not place food or drink containers that still contain liquids in the desk side containers as they attract pests.
    • To report an overfilled container or excessive recyclables, please contact Facility Services at (760)750-4600.
  • Do we recycle printer cartridges?

    • Yes, please send your used inkjet printer cartridges via inter-office mail to Distribution Services where they will be recycled. Do not use the direct mail envelopes, they are obsolete and cannot be mailed to the old address.
    • Laser jets will be collected upon request -
  • How do I recycle electronics?

    Call Materials Management (760)750-4539. If the item is still working, it may be donated to a local educational institution for reuse. If it is out of service, it will be recycled as e-waste.
  • Does the CSUSM campus community have to recycle?

    Yes, all California government institutions, including colleges and universities, are required by law- AB75 and SB-1016 to divert at least 50% of their waste from the landfills as of January 1, 2005. Cal State San Marcos has complied with that mandate each year.

                        trashcan in classroom