department menu

Credit/No Credit Grading

Academic Senate passed temporary changes to policy that allowed for the expanded use of the Credit/No Credit grading basis for Fall 2020, Spring 2021.

  • CR/NC requests for Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 are no longer permitted.
  • CR/NC requests for Summer 2021, may be submitted using the instructions below (through August 6). 

Please see the FAQ for specific scenarios and questions, including implications for Veterans benefits, NCAA eligibilty and more.

 What is Credit/No Credit?

Grades of CR or NC are not included in your GPA calculation; however, you earn the units if a grade of CR is assigned.

  • Undergraduate courses

    Grades of A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C are equivalent to a CR grade.

    Grades of C-, D+, D, D-, F are equivalent to an NC grade.

  • Graduate courses

    Grades of A, A-, B+, B, B- are equivalent to a CR grade

    Grades of C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, F are equivalent to an NC grade.

Your Options

Most undergraduate courses are approved for CR/NC grading in Fall 2020, Spring 2021, and Summer 2021 with some exceptions in certain majors/minors. Courses in some graduate programs are also approved. To determine if you are eligible to request CR/NC grading in your class(es), please review the CR/NC by Major page and select your major/minor or graduate program.

In summary, CR/NC grading in Fall 2020, Spring 2021 and Summer 2021 is approved as follows:

  • General Education: All courses taken to fulfill General Education breadth requirements, both lower and upper division, for undergraduate programs (if not also used to fulfill a major requirement)
  • Electives: All courses taken to fulfill units or free electives for undergraduate programs (this does not include major electives)
  • Lower division in all majors and minors (except Nursing): All lower division courses taken to fulfill major and minor requirements for undergraduate programs, with the exception of the Nursing major
  • Upper division major/minor: this varies by major. See CR/NC by Major page for how this applies to you.
  • Graduate courses: this varies by major. See CR/NC by Major page for how this applies to you.

Important note on Limits

Campus policy restricts the total number of units taken with a CR/NC grading basis that can be applied to an undergraduate degree. This limit is 15 units. Any grades of CR in Spring 2020 or Summer 2020 are excluded from this limit (as well as CR grades from courses that require CR/NC grading). However, this limit does apply to grades of CR in Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 and Summer 2021. 

Petitions made for CR/NC grading basis that will result in exceeding the 15 unit limit in an undergraduate degree will be denied (Spring 2020/Summer 2020 CR/NC units excluded).

How to request it

Step one: Check the CR/NC by Major page for what is approved for your major.

Step two: View our recorded Zoom webinar and/or review the FAQs to decide if it is the right choice for you. 

Step three: Request the CR/NC grading basis for the desired course(s). 

  • Summer 2021 Courses


    (1) In the Student Center in MyCSUSM, under the Academics section, select Enrollment: Edit from the drop down menu

    Drop down Enrollment Edit

    (2) Select the Term for your course (Summer 2021) and click Continue 

    (3) Select the class for which you want to request CR/NC grading and click Proceed to Step 2 of 3 (if there is a related class, such as a lecture or activity, you will need to click Next on that page)

    (4) Select Credit/No Credit from the Grading drop down.

    Grading Drop Down




Non-passing grades will change to NC

  • The Registrar’s Office changed all F grades to NC grades for the Fall 2020 semester. F grades posted for Spring and Summer 21 will be changed to NC at the end of the term.