All researchers including faculty, students, and staff conducting human subjects research must complete online Human Subjects training available through CITI (Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative) at www.citiprogram.org. This training is required for all types of IRB applications.
CITI certification must be renewed every three years. CITI certification must be maintained current throughout the human subjects research; from recruitment of the participants to analysis of data. Each course has a set of modules that must be completed with an overall score of 80%. CITI will issue “completion certificate” for each course completed. See instructions for CITI training below.
Please upload a copy of the completion certificate for all researchers (including student assistants) involved in the research project in IRBNet. If you are a student, please upload the completion certificate for yourself and your faculty advisor.
1. Go to www.citiprogram.org.
2. If you are a new user, you need to create an account. If you are returning user, enter your username and password. To create an account, click “Register” and follow the instructions provided on the screen. Make sure to affiliate your account with California State University San Marcos, and provide your university e-mail.
3. Once you are logged in, click “Add a Course or Update Learner Groups”. You should see this option under California State University San Marcos shell.
4. Scroll down and answer Question 1 through 4. If you are not doing lab animal research,
leave question 2 blank. Based on this questionnaire, most students and faculty will
do the "Social & Behavioral Research - Basec/Refresher" course. **If your program is within the School of Education, make sure to also select 'Social
and Behavioral Responsible Conduct of Research Course' on question 3. This applies
to both faculty and students.**
5. Click on the name of the course that appears under California State University San Marcos shell to start your training. Each course could take up to 4 hours to complete. You can always log out and come back later to work on the modules listed under each course.
6. Once you successfully completed courses, and "passed", click on "Print Report" for each course and save the report as a pdf and upload it to IRBNet with your application.
IMPORTANT: If you are a graduate student in the Joint Doctoral Program with UCSD, and are going through their IRB Office for your dissertation, you must add UCSD as your instituition and follow their instructions for CITI.