News & Events
The SANDAG 2021 Regional Plan is Official
The National Latino Research Center (NLRC) is proud to announce that as of December
10th, the SANDAG Board of Directors have adopted the 2021 Regional Plan and certified the
Final Environmental Impact Report (EIR)! This decision to invest in a modernized transportation
system over the next 30 years will serve the entire San Diego region for generations
As the NLRC, we conducted community outreach with traditionally excluded communities in North San Diego County comprising the 78-Corridor in the cities of Escondido, San Marcos, Vista, and Oceanside, and unincorporated rural communities along the 76-Corridor including Fallbrook, Pala, Pauma Valley, and Valley Center to ensure that resident voices were heard in this very important planning process and that the result of the work would be inclusive of all North County residents.
In the midst of the global COVID-19 pandemic and the challenges associated with protecting public health, the Homie UP Youth Empowerment Program (YEP) hosted Mi Universidad 2020, a six-week college immersion program designed to introduce first-generation students to higher education. Our team of educators, interns, and volunteers worked around the clock to provide access for youth to experience learning through a university setting.
The summer program was implemented virtually from June 23 to July 31, 2020. Forty youth participated in the intensive and interactive series of classes and activities with CSUSM professors, college students, community educators, and peers. The classes included Chicanx Studies; Our Communities Count; Raíces de Acción; College Readiness; Media Studies; Health and Wellness; Second Step; and weekly team-building activities.
We also implemented a parallel program we called Ourstory for students grades 1-6. Ourstory was a read aloud program designed to improve reading comprehension and teach awareness of community history. Using a community cultural wealth approach, Ourstory is centered on the principles of popular education to promote and increase the knowledge of Latinx and Chicanx histories, community experiences, and storytelling.
To celebrate the completion of the program we held a socially distanced Drive-Thru Graduation!
- Check out our Facebook photo album of our graduates!
- You can also get a glimpse of the classes and see video production made by the students on the Homie UP Instagram page.
We would like to thank our partners, Universidad Popular and North County Health Services, CSUSM Faculty Collaborators including Dr. Rafael Hernández, NLRC staff, interns and volunteers, and community members for their continued commitment to Homie UP YEP.
Finally, we express our gratitude to our youth and their families for their dedication and resilience. Though technology, internet, and this virtual format was challenging, they triumphantly completed and empowered us with their stories, voice, and knowledge.
The Homie UP YEP staff is ready to continue the work in the new academic year, 2020-21,
to overcome increasing challenges and continue to empower our youth to create a path
to higher education.
NLRC in the News
- May 21, 2019: Controversy over Escondido teachers wearing sombreros, fake mustaches in yearbook photos
- Mar. 15, 2019: California State Census Office Awards $1.6M to “Count Me 2020 Coalition”
- Oct. 10, 2018: CSUSM, MiraCosta College Get Grant Funds to Support Undocumented Students
- Oct. 24, 2018: California Colleges Get Funding to Expand Services to Undocumented College Students
- Oct. 25, 2018: UPRISE Will Help Students Rise Up
- Sept. 1, 2017: Creating a Culture of Success for Disadvantaged Youth
- Sept. 11, 2017: $1M Grant Will Help Low-Income Computer Science Students
- Nov. 21, 2016: Celebran el liderazgo que aportan voluntarios de la comunidad
- Nov. 22, 2016: Reconocen a 230 miembros del programa de Liderazgo de la Universidad Popular
- Nov. 14, 2016: CSUSM-led Effort Bolstering Latino Civic Engagement
- Mar. 17, 2016: Trump Fuels Citizenship Drive Among San Diego County Immigrants
- Nov. 6, 2015: Measuring and Bolstering Latino Civic Engagement
- Sept. 28, 2015: Homie UP – Stories of Love and Redemption Documentary Premiere