Service Learning Faculty Institute
2022 Institute Overview
- Monday - Thursday, June 13th - 16th
- 9:30 AM - 2:30 PM (Each Day) at the Faculty Center, 2400 Kellogg
- Participating faculty will be compensated $600 in professional development funds and
an additional $500 if they teach their new Service Learning course in the following
- Open to faculty of all ranks and colleges
Applications are due by May 10, 2022
Service Learning is a high-impact teaching practice that incorporates community work
into the curriculum, giving students transformative, real-world learning experiences
that enhance their academic learning while providing a tangible benefit to the community.
Through a combination of presentations and hand-on activities, our 4-day Faculty Institute
will lead you step-by-step through the process of adding Service Learning into an
upcoming class. You need not have an idea on what service you intend to add. We will
help you brainstorm ideas and introduce you to our database of Community Partners
seeking students. We will invite speakers, including community partners, to discuss
best practices and tips for success.
The Summer Teaching Institute will focus on both the pedagogy and the practice of service learning and on reflection.
- Creating learning objectives that link service to course outcomes
- Identifying Community Partners that fit the needs of your course and engage students
- Designing reflection activities tied with the learning objectives and the service
- Examining rubrics to assess student learning
Who should apply?
- Faculty of all ranks from all colleges are encouraged to apply. We strongly believe
that service can be added to any course. We will assist faculty in developing ideas
and identifying Community Partners. Previous experience with Service Learning is not
required (but also welcome!).
For questions about the event or application, please contact Carol Cujec, Service
Learning Faculty Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is the commitment?
- Faculty should plan to attend the full time from 9:30 AM to 2:30 PM from June 13th
- Participants will spend an additional few hours doing reading in preparation for each
session and assessing techniques learned in the institute.
- Faculty will attend a follow up meeting during the AY 22-23 to discuss and troubleshoot
any challenges with their new Service Learning courses.
How will faculty be selected?
- Stated interest in and commitment to adding service to an upcoming class.
- Diverse representation within the institute (ideally, we would like to include faculty
of different ranks, disciplines, and colleges).
What is the compensation?
- Faculty who complete the Summer Teaching Institute will be awarded $600 for professional
development and an additional $500 if they are able to teach their new Service Learning
course in the following academic year.
Applications are due: Tuesday, May 10, 2022 | Notification of selection: Wednesday,
May 20, 2022