Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies
In California, Liberal Studies is the major designed for those who plan on becoming K-8 teachers. It is also a major that serves as a broad liberal arts education for those who do not wish to become teachers. If you want to become a teacher, refer to this helpful flowchart to determine the best major for you.
The Liberal Studies major has two options, the Elementary Subject Matter Option (ESM)
and the Integrated Teacher Education Program Option (ITEP). The Border Studies Option
was part of the Liberal Studies major through 2020-21.
- Border Studies Option (BRS). Available up to Fall 2021. Starting in Fall 2021, Border and Regional Studies is a component of the Geography B.A.
- Elementary Subject Matter Preparation Option for teachers (ESM)
- Integrated Teacher Education Program (ITEP). This major option provides those pursuing a K-8 teaching career with an accelerated pathway to becoming a California teacher.
- Want to know the main differences between the ESM and ITEP options? Read our brochure and watch this video (duration 4:43)
Depth of Study Modules offered by our faculty
- Border Studies
- View complete list of Depth of Study Modules and Worksheets
Careers with a Liberal Studies Degree
The CSUSM Career Center offers workshops on resume writing, effective interviewing, and special events for Liberal Studies majors.