Your  Account:



  • Where do I find a list of courses that are required for the LBST-ESM major?

    Go to the  ACL worksheets to find your required courses based on your catalog (requirement) term.  

  • How do I know which Approved Course List (ACL) to use?

    Liberal Studies students use color-coded Approved Course Lists (ACL) that are based on the year that the student started the LBST program.  This is called your requirement term or catalog year.  

    Year started LBST program ACL to follow
    2004-2015 PINK
    2016-2018 BLUE
    2019-2020 GOLD
    2021 GREY
    2022 GREEN
    If you are not sure of your requirement term, you can find this information in your student center in the Academics tab. 
  • What is the difference between the ESM and ITEP programs?

    The LBST-ESM program is designed for students to complete their LBST Bachelor's Degree in four years and then complete a teaching credential later, taking five total years to earn both the BA and Credential.

    The LBST-ITEP program is designed for students to complete both the LBST BA and a Multiple Subject Credential in the School of Education in four years (or two years if transferring).  This curriculum pathway requires students to complete all non-credential requirements of the program in three years (or one year for transfers).  Students must take more than 15 units during several semesters or add summer classes. Students interested in ITEP must meet with an advisor to ensure that they are well-positioned to succeed in ITEP.

  • What are the different Depth of Study/Area of Focus choices; what classes are required?

    If your requirement term is before Fall 2019, your curriculum includes a Depth of Study section.  There are 16 options that you can choose from, each consisting of 15-16 units.  You can find the options and specific courses on the Depth of Study Worksheets page.

    If your requirement term is Fall 2019 or later, your curriculum includes an Area of Focus. The course requirements for each area of focus is included on your Approved Course List.

  • How do I declare my Depth of Study/Area of Focus?
  • Can I double count any of my classes in my Depth of Study?

    For students in the Pink and Blue catalog years, you can double count only two classes between your major requirements and Depth of Study requirements.

    Students in the Gold, Grey and Green catalog years will follow the ACL with no double counting in their concentrations.

  • Why don’t I see all my classes in my Degree Planner? What are ‘Declare Option’ lines?

    If you have not yet selected your Depth of Study or Area of Focus, your ARR and Degree Planner will not show all your remaining classes and instead show ‘declare option’ on a number of lines.  Once you select your DOS or Area of Focus, your ARR and Degree Planner will automatically update with your remaining classes.

  • Why are the Liberal Studies GE requirements different than other majors?

    Because the LBST major prepares students to be teachers in the state of California, the requirements must meet the California Standards for Multiple Subject Preparation for future K-8 teachers.  Coursework is selected to address the seven core subject matter areas of the K-8 curriculum: Reading, Language & Literature; History & Social Science; Mathematics; Science; Visual & Performance Arts; Human Development; and Physical Education.

    Because of this, LBST students are required to take additional lower division courses that count for their major.  This can affect students changing majors into LBST as even though a GE class will count for other majors, it may not count for the LBST major.

    In addition, LBST majors must earn a C or higher in all GE and major requirement courses.  If you earn a C- or lower, you will need to repeat that course for it to count for the major.

  • What is the process for becoming a California State teacher?
    Be a Teacher Pathway Community is the best resource for understanding the process for becoming a teacher in California.
  • What additional classes do I need to take for the CSUSM Credential Program?

    EDUC 350, 364 and 422 are prerequisites for the CSUSM Credential program.  You must earn a C+ or higher for these courses to count towards your School of Education credential application.

  • Where can I get specific information about teaching credentials and the application process?

    The School of Education (SOE) in the College of Education, Health and Human Services (CEHHS) houses all the credential programs at CSUSM.  You can find more information, including credential advisors contact information and credential information sessions at the SOE credential website

  • How can I get credit for a course I took at another university to count for a requirement?

    If you take a class at a California Community College, you can use to show articulated courses from community colleges that meet requirements for the Liberal Studies major. 

    If a class from a transfer university is not listed in as meeting a requirement for the LBST major, or if your transfer course is not meeting a requirement that you thought it did, you need to submit a petition for the course to be reviewed by faculty for similar course content. 

    Course Match courses (CSUFullyOnline) need to be pre-approved by faculty in order for a course to meet a requirement for the LBST major.  Use the LBST petition form to submit your request.

  • What is a Supplemental Authorization?
    For more information on Supplemental Authorization see School of Education.  You can also visit the SOE advising office in University Hall 221.