Mission of the CSUSM MSW Program
Grounded in principles of social and economic justice, the Mission of the Master of Social Work program at California State University San Marcos is to prepare competent, committed, and conscientious social workers who engage in ethical and reflective advanced generalist practice. Responsive to a diverse and multicultural society, our program focuses on community engagement, service, advocacy, leadership, and research that enhances the well-being of individuals, families, and communities in Southern California and beyond.
CSUSM MSW Program Goals
- Prepare advanced generalist practitioners who:
- Identify as professional social workers committed to reflective, ethical, conscientious, and collaborative practice.
- Are grounded in core social work values and principles including: person in environment, strengths perspective, cultural humility, self-determination, recovery, and trauma informed approaches.
- Serve as leaders engaged in empathic, competent, interdisciplinary, and research-informed practice.
- Are committed to advancing social, economic, and environmental justice, promoting human rights, and engaging in social action that motivates and empowers culturally, economically, and socially diverse communities.
- Engage in research and service activities that enhance social work practice and the well-being of individuals, families, and communities.
The MSW Program’s mission and goals stem from the ethics, values, and tasks of the profession; the mission and policies of the University and the College of Education, Health and Human Services (CEHHS); and the needs of the community it serves. The CSUSM Social Work Program has as its philosophical base a belief in human dignity, respect for the worth of each individual, and a belief in the essential equality of all human beings. The Program’s mission emphasizes the interdependence of people, and the assumption that society carries the responsibility of ensuring provision of basic social needs. This mission provides the overarching principles which guide the Program’s many activities.
The Mission of CSUSM’s MSW program also aligns itself with the mission of the profession as set forth by the National Association of Social Workers (NASW), which states that, “the primary mission of the social work profession is to enhance human wellbeing and help meet the basic human needs of all people, with particular attention to the needs and empowerment of people who are vulnerable, oppressed, and living in poverty.”
The mission of social work is also rooted in six core values identified by NASW, which are the foundation of social work’s unique purpose and perspective as a profession:
- Social justice
- Dignity and worth of the person
- Importance of human relationships