Program Costs, Financial Aid and Grants
Program and Tuition Fees
CSUSM MSW tuition and University fees are subject to change based on CSU Board of Trustees and University mandates. Program and tuition fees do not include cost-of-living, books, or additional expenses. *There is no difference in tuition cost for out-of-state students.
As of Fall 2022, the cost of tuition is $499.00 per unit. 60 units total are required to complete both the 2-year and 3-year programs, and 30 units for the 1-year Advanced Standing program.
In addition to tuition, students pay University fees each semester. Tuition and fees may increase during your degree program. As of Fall 2021, mandatory semester fees total $840.00 per Fall & Spring semester ($135.00 for Summer). Please note that your total fee costs will vary depending upon the number of semesters you are enrolled. (For example, full time students will typically pay fees four times during their program - once for each semester they are enrolled. Part time students will typically pay fees eight times during their program.)
If you are accepted into this program, you will be asked to pay a non-refundable $150.00 "intent to enroll" fee. This fee will be credited towards your first semester's tuition.
|Tuition per Unit||$499.00|
|Child Care Services||Opt-In $10.00|
|Health Facilities/Services||Opt-in $95.00|
|EL Technology Fee||$48.00|
|AESS||$250.00 (AA; Library; Career Center)|
|Mental Health||Opt-in $93.00|
|Application Fee||$70.00 (one-time)|
|Textbooks and Software||$400.00 approximate per term|
NOTE: Students enrolled in a degree seeking program will not have fees adjusted if taking a required course at an alternative campus location or modality.
For more information, view the Explanation of Fees document.
Tuition must be paid in full by the payment deadline each semester in order to avoid being dropped from your courses.
There are several options to pay for your courses and fees:
- Apply for a CSUSM Payment Plan through the Student Financial Services website.
- Payment plans are not offered during the summer semester.
- If you intend to seek financial aid, you are encouraged to submit your FAFSA application
prior to being admitted to the program. For additional information visit FAFSA on the Web.
- The CSUSM school code is 030113.
- Once you have a completed financial aid application on file, course drop protection will be placed on your account to prevent you from being dropped from your courses.
- If you are a Veteran or a Veteran's dependent and have questions about what benefits
you may be eligible for, please visit the CSUSM campus Epstein Family Veterans Center website. You can also reach out directly via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone: (760)750-4827. For specific information about other Extended Learning
programs, please visit the Military & Veterans Services website.
- Please note: the Cal Vet Fee Waiver may not be used for this degree program.
- Please note that effective December 2020, all Extended Learning credit card transactions will be charged a convenience fee of 2.65%. The convenience fee is subject to change.
- Please visit our program Financial Aid Resources page for additional scholarship and grant opportunities.