Links to Information on Careers for Mathematics Students
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics compiles a report called the Occupational Outlook Handbook (2010-11 edition; updated every 2 years by the Bureau of Labor Statistics). This report discusses: the nature of the work; training, other qualification, and advancement; employment; job outlook, projections; earnings; wages; related occupations; and sources of additional information. Check it out!
- The American Mathematical Society posts an article with the title What do mathematicians do?
- The American Mathematical Society posts an article with the title Some of what mathematicians do.
- The American Mathematical Society has a website http://www.ams.org/profession/undergrad.html that provides information for undergraduate math majors regarding graduate schools in mathematics; summer research programs and internships; clubs, conferences, and events; careers in mathematics, and jobs and internships.
- The Mathematical Association of America has a website http://www.maa.org/students/undergrad/career.html that describes some career profiles and provides links to resources for undergraduate math majors.
- Career Services at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville provides a pdf file at http://career.utk.edu/wcidwtm/html/mathematics.html to help mathematics majors develop strategies to obtain jobs in industry, government, market research, insurance, securities, banking, and education.