The Center for Leadership, Innovation, and Mentorship Building presents Amy Forsythe
Communicating with Impact: Strategies and Tactics for Leaders at all Levels
Public Affairs & Communications Officer
- Thursday, March 7th
- 7:30-9:15 AM
- RSVP HERE
Amy Forsythe Bio:
Amy Forsythe has been at the ‘tip of the spear’ and armed with a camera and microphone as she covered combat operations in Iraq and Afghanistan over the past 20 years. Amy served more than 30 years in uniform, on active duty and the reserves, and continues to be a leader in the San Diego veteran community and highly sought after for her communications experience and media savvy.
Her journey from enlisting in the Marines in 1993 and serving as a combat correspondent to becoming a Navy Reserve Communications Officer has brought her to other overseas locations like Romania, Poland, Germany, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Guam and Palau covering military exercises and operations.
In between deployments, Amy worked as a TV reporter covering military and veteran topics in San Diego County. She’s a proud graduate of Cal State San Marcos (2005) and University of San Diego (2009) and has completed numerous courses held at the Defense Information School at Fort Meade, MD.
Her inspirational story and desire to encourage other veterans to share their stories has been lauded by several media outlets including Fox 5 News, NBC 7 San Diego, Union Tribune, At Ease Magazine, Coffee or Die Magazine, Military Times, and Passion Vista Media. She recently published a book titled “Heroes Live Here” which showcases the history and legacy of Marines at Camp Pendleton.
Amy’s passion is to share the courageous stories of military servicemembers and to mentor the next generation of those seeking a career in communications. She’s engaged with community leaders, veterans’ groups and high school and college-aged young adults to strengthen ties between the military and civilian communities.
Achievements and recognition:
- Named U.S. Marine Corps Broadcaster of the Year in 2007 and 2009
- Winner of PRSA’s Bronze Anvil Award and Award of Excellence in 2009
- Finalist for San Diego Magazine’s Women of Influence in the ‘Public Servant’ category (2023).
- Inducted into the San Diego Women’s Hall of Hall in the ‘Historian’ category (2023).
- Named as Success Magazine’s Top 50 Women of Influence (2022)
- Selected as IAOTP’s Top Multimedia Journalist and Military Veteran of the Year (2023)
- Listed in the Who’s Who of the Industries for Passion Vista Media (2023)
- Named as San Diego Business Journal’s Top 50 Veteran Business Leaders of Influence (2023)
- Member of Board of Trustees for Mt. Soledad National Veterans Memorial
- Community Liaison for Visit Oceanside Tourism Board
- Board Director for the U.S. Marine Corps Combat Correspondent Association
- Member of the Community Advisory Panel for the Cohen Veteran Network
- Emcee for the 2022 SDMAC Annual Achievement Awards
- Emcee for the 2023 Mr. & Mrs. Military Awards Inaugural Pageant
- Volunteered for numerous speaking engagement for veteran’s groups, high school and college students, non-profit service organizations to promote military history and inspire patriotism.