skip to main content
skip to navigation
skip to main content
skip to section navigation
URISE Program Plan and Expectations
- To seriously pursue graduate study and a professional career in the natural sciences,
behavioral sciences or math.
- To participate in sponsored research supervised by a faculty preceptor.
- To attend all OTRES Seminars and Workshops (please speak with the U-RISE Director
about class conflicts prior to registering for classes).
- To enroll in the OTRES Course each semester (currently scheduled for Fridays, 12:30-3:30).
- To attend Supplemental Instruction or CELS sessions for the courses in which it is
- To participate in summer activities (as appropriate to class standing):
- Off Campus Summer Research Program (prior to Junior or Senior year)
- Conduct research with a faculty mentor (all summers)
- Puentes Program (prior to graduation year)
- SRTP (prior to Junior year)
- To make satisfactory progress towards degree in a discipline associated with the natural
sciences, behavioral sciences or math.
- To maintain a competitive GPA for admission to a PhD program.
- To engage in occasional outreach activities to acquaint high school and community
college students with OTRES opportunities.
- To meet on a frequent basis with an OTRES academic advisor to ensure appropriate progress
toward on-time graduation.
- To minimize external employment and other commitments outside of the U-RISE Program.
The Program Director will make case-by-case approval for work commitments other than
- To present your research at national or regional scientific meetings (including the
CSUSM Student Symposium on Student Research, Creative Activities and Innovation each
- To work with OTRES staff to develop a competitive application to graduate school.
- Upon request, to provide assessment information to OTRES.
- To monitor e-mail and phone communications from OTRES and respond immediately to requests.
- To provide annual written updates to OTRES on academic progress after graduating from
CSU San Marcos.
- To notify the OTRES personnel of any changes to e-mail address, home address, or phone