Travel this July to the beautiful and vibrant Peruvian Amazon in the Madre de Dios region in Southeast Peru. Under the direction of faculty leaders/researchers Lucy HG Solomon and Samia Carillo-Percastegui, experience the hands-on tracking of jungle animals and discover the science of rainforest animal conservation while developing creative visualizations of the world around you!
During your time abroad you will:
Planned excursions include the following:
July 17-29, 2018
VSAR 331 (3 units), clears CC requirement for students with 60 units or more
IP 495 (3 units) for Arts students
Language of Instruction:
English, although conversational Spanish is helpful
3 units of VSAR 331 OR ID 495
While in Lima, participants will be assigned a Peruvian family homestay. In the Peruvian Amazon, students will stay in shared rooms at the Los Amigos Research Lodge. Please be advised due to the sensitive nature of the environment in which you will be living, the lodge has only about one hour of satellite internet per day, which is slow and sometimes inconsistent. Keep in mind your best connection will be with nature! The lodge will serve simple, healthy, traditional food. Special dietary restrictions can be accommodated.
TBD + Extended Learning Fees (estimated at $252)
All fees include tuition, lodging and most meals, medical insurance, and local area excursions. Airfare and personal expenditures are NOT included in the program cost and estimated at $1,600.
Some useful airfare search engines:
Please await notification from Global Education before purchasing your airfare. Ideally, we enjoy holding a pre-departure meeting once the application deadline closes, then participants may plan their travels together. Always read the fine print concerning change fees, taxes, luggage restrictions, before booking. Whenever possible, book directly with an airline.
1. Attend an information session led by faculty leader, Dr. Lucy Solomon.
2. Fill out the online application materials via the link below. All application materials must be received by noon on Thursday, April 5 along with your non-refundable $300 deposit to the Office of Global Education. Online payment preferred through CashNet. Please be advised to choose E-check and enter your checking account details to avoid the 2.75% convenience fees applicable to all non-checking account payments. Cash, checks, and money orders made payable to CSUSM will also be accepted.
3. Final payment of program fees is due noon on Thursday, May 3, to the Office of Global Education, following the payment guidelines set forth above. Payment of tuition related expenses (estimated at $252) will be billed by Extended Learning and appear on your Student Center, following the payment guidelines set out for Summer Session.
4. Submit your flight details to Global Education here: Flight Information Form
5. A mandatory pre-departure orientation will be held with Professor Solomon to discuss arrival instructions and the upcoming course.
Attend an Info Session Today!
|February 15||12-12:50pm||SBSB 2101|
|February 20||12-12:50pm||SBSB 2101|
|February 27||12-12:50pm||SBSB 2101|
|March 6||12-12:50pm||SBSB 2101|