- Global Education
- Undergraduate International Admissions
- Graduate International Admissions
- Prospective Applicants
- International Students
- Newly Admitted Students
- Visa Regulations
- Health Care Services
- Financial Aid
- Forms and Requests
- Exchange Students
- American Language and Culture Institute
- Study Abroad
- Faculty and Departments
- Global Partners
- Agents and Prospective Exchange Partners
- International Visitor Request
- Travel Resources
- Calendar of Events
All international students are required to purchase and maintain adequate health insurance coverage while they are in the United States. To meet the health insurance requirement, we suggest you purchase the CSU-sponsored health insurance which meets the Health Insurance Requirements listed below. Visit the Wells Fargo Insurance Services website to enroll in the CSU-sponsored health insurance or to receive more information. Students may purchase health insurance online with a credit card or debit card.
Students looking at other insurance options: only the following alternative policies will be reviewed and they need to meet the Health Insurance Requirements listed below. You must submit a petition to the Office of Global Education for approval:
- Policies for students sponsored by their home government or the U.S. government
- Students covered with a U.S. policy through their own or a family member’s employment
- Policies issued through your home country that meet the requirements stated on the petition
Important: You must submit a petition to the Office of Global Education to approve your alternative policy. *Do NOT purchase before the policy has been approved.
Health Insurance Requirement
Your health insurance must meet the following California State University International Student Health Insurance requirements:
- The medical benefit is at least $500,000 per condition, with a co-payment of no more than 25%, and a deductible of no more than $100.
- The policy is valid as long as you are enrolled at CSUSM.
- The repatriation benefit is at least $7,500.
- The medical evacuation benefit is at least $10,000.
- The policy provides equal benefits for men and women.
- The policy includes prenatal (pregnancy) and maternity coverage at no extra cost.
- The policy pays for pre-existing conditions after six months of continuous coverage.
On-Campus Health Services
The University has a complete Student Health Services facility on campus, with a resident physician. All students have access to the health service as part of their enrollment. Student Health Services will refer students to specialists if they cannot be treated on campus.
If you are an international student covered by the medical insurance policy offered by CSU San Marcos, you may either visit health services or your own physician. If you visit health services first, all deductible payments are waived if you are referred to a specialist. Health Services has a list of specialists who accept our medical insurance coverage.
All consultations with Student Health Services are strictly confidential. U.S. law prohibits Health Services from releasing any information about you to anyone (including parents, spouses, or other relatives) without your permission.
Health Services has health information available in many different languages. They also have translators available to assist you in explaining your health problems or understanding doctor's instructions.
Health Services is located in the Palomar-Pomerado building at the corner of Craven Drive and Twin Oaks Valley Road.
Off-Campus Urgent Care Clinics
Always go to an Urgent Care Clinic if the situation is not life threatening. (Bring your health insurance card with you)
Gray Bill Medical (Escondido)
Urgent Care Clinic
225 E Second Ave.
Escondido, CA 92026
No Appointment Necessary
8:00am-4:00pm Sat & Sun
Directions: Take 15 South, Exit: Valley Parkway going East (left). As you drive, the street changes to Second Ave…Keep going straight. The GRAY BILL Medical Center is on the right side of the street.
Concentra Urgent Care Clinic (San Marcos)
Urgent Care Clinic
740 Nordahl. Rd Ste 131
San Marcos, CA 92069
No Appointment Necessary
8:00am -8:00pm Mon-Fri
8:00am-5:00pm Sat & Sun
Directions: 78 East, Exit Nordahl…going Left