Internships for Community Members
Due to current COVID-19 Federal, State and County restrictions, we strongly recommend
offering virtual internship opportunities, if possible. The Career Center is here
to assist you in regard to best practices in creating virtual internships. When your
organization is able to offer an on-site internship opportunity, CSUSM students may
participate in on-site internship activities in the State of California provided the
student and the organization follow current Federal, State, and County public health
guidelines effective May 19, 2020. Organizations will be required to submit evidence
they are in compliance with public health guidelines.
What is a Partnership?
The purpose of the University Community Partnership agreement is twofold:
- It provides guidelines that allow for safe and positive learning environments where
the risk and liability have been minimized for all parties; and
- It provides necessary information to list your organization in our internship database
where interested students search for internship opportunities.
Establish a new partnership
- Step 1: Review Program Requirements and the Internship Handbook
In addition to reviewing the program requirements below, please review the Community Partner Internship Handbook for tips and suggestions when creating your internship opportunity.
Program requirements include:
- Ensuring the internship position is related to an academic field of study available at CSUSM
- Ensuring the internship position consists of pre-professional or professionally-related
work assignments and tasks (note: administrative tasks must no exceed 20% of the internship).
- Ensuring a safe and appropriate learning environment
- Permitting, as needed, a CSUSM faculty/staff member to conduct a site visit prior
to the student commencing internship work
- Learn and be familiar with federal student privacy laws (FERPA) and adhere to it accordingly
- Providing training and consistent guidance and supervision by a professional staff
- Providing a workplace orientation to the student including safety and emergency procedures
- Allowing interns to meet with their supervisors and receive feedback on their activities
on a regular basis
- Verifying internship hours completed
- Completing a partner experience survey
If you will be offering an unpaid internship, review the Internship Programs and the Fair Labor Standards Act to ensure your internship opportunity meets the criteria for an allowable unpaid
internship. Credit for internships is administered solely by the university. Students
interested in obtaining credit must enroll in an internship course and obtain approval
from their major department to confirm the appropriateness of the internship.
- Step 2: Submit an Application for a University Community Partnership
Complete the Request to Initiate Partnership form online. To process your application in a timely manner, please ensure to answer
all questions thoroughly. Please note your “Main Contact” information will be listed
in the database for our students and faculty to view as the point of contact for your
organization. If your application is on behalf of a pre-selected student, please indicate
in the application.
Your application will be reviewed within 3-5 business days and you will be contacted
directly upon completion of this step.
- Step 3: Sign a University Community Partnership Agreement
|The application will be reviewed and, upon approval, a University Community Partnership
Agreement will be sent to your organization to review and sign. The agreement will
be valid for 5 years. Your organization and internship information will be uploaded
to the Internship Database for our students and faculty to review upon receiving
your signed agreement.
Apply for a University Community Partnership
New Opportunity for Existing Partners
If you already have a signed agreement, but would like to advertise a new opportunity,
click the "Submit a new opportunity" below.
Submit a new opportunity
Update an Opportunity for Existing Partners
If you already have a current university community partnership agreement with us and
want to submit a new internship opportunity, please contact us to receive a custom link with your pre-filled information.
To ensure your internship opportunity is posted in a timely manner, please submit
a request 4-6 weeks prior to the start of the semester
Summer 2021: June - August
Fall 2021: August 30 - December 11
If you need assistance with your internship listing or have any other questions regarding
internships, please contact the Career Center at (760) 750-7005 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also see: Frequently Asked Questions