CSUSM Annual Safety Reports
What the Clery Numbers Do and Do Not Say
- Statistics compiled for the annual security report and shared with the Department of Education DO INCLUDE those reported to the “campus security authorities”, such as campus police or security, a coach, an advisor to a student group or a dean of students.
- These statistics DO INCLUDE incidents documented by Residence Life Staff of students violating campus policies that are also violations of laws captured under Clery.
- These statistics DO INCLUDE all reports to campus security authorities of Clery crimes that occurred within Clery geography, regardless of whether the individual reporting was a member of the campus community.
- These statistics DO INCLUDE all reports to campus security authorities of Clery crimes that occurred within Clery geography, regardless of whether the person chose to move forward with the criminal justice or campus disciplinary process.
- These statistics DO NOT always represent incidents shared with confidential resources on campus such as a counseling center. Pastoral and professional counselors are exempt from Clery reporting, although many institutions have procedures encouraging pastoral and professional counselors, if and when they deem it appropriate, to inform the persons they are counseling of any procedures to report crimes on a voluntary, confidential basis.
- These statistics DO NOT include incidents that were not reported to the institution.
- These statistics DO NOT reflect incidents reported that occurred in areas that are not Clery geography (such as at an off-campus party at a location not owned or controlled by the institution, an incident that occurs at a local bar or club, or an incident that occurs in the hometown of a student).