- Confer with the student to establish familiarity with his/her approved accommodations.
- Respect the privacy of students with disabilities. Be careful not to inadvertently disclose the details of a student’s case to others.
- Treat students with disabilities with the same courtesies you would to other students.
- Assist students in following university policies. All requests for accommodations
must be made through the Disability Support Services office.
- Include information about the Disability Support Services (DSS) office in your syllabus
and course materials.
- Contact the DSS office when you have questions or concerns about a student: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Make assumptions about a student’s ability to participate in the class or work in
a particular field.
- Decide not to provide reasonable accommodations which have been approved by a DSS
- Refuse to permit students to tape record lectures as an accommodations. Faculty members
may complete a Tape Recording/Transcript Services Contract to protect the rights of both parties.
- Make informal short-term or long-term arrangements for testing accommodations. This
protects students, faculty members, and the institution by ensuring consistency, and
takes much of the burden off individual faculty members.