Your  Account:


Frequently Asked Questions Pertaining to Disability Support Services

  • How does a student become eligible to receive accommodations through DSS?

     To become eligible, a student must have a documented disability.

    Student must make contact with Disability Support Services (DSS) and provide documentation of the disability. Paperwork to help with the documentation process is available through DSS.

  • What are reasonable accommodations?

    A reasonable accommodation is a support service provided to students with documented disabilities to help them perform according to their intellectual abilities.

    Some common academic accommodations include:

    • extended time on tests
    • use of note takers
    • access to specially adapted equipment
    • access to sign language interpreters
  • What are not considered reasonable accommodations?
    • Fundamentally alter the academic requirements for the degree or course of study.
    • Eliminates a course requirement that is reasonably necessary to the course of study.
    • Alter consistently applied academic policies which are based on academic standards.
    • Guarantee success or bear responsibility for making students succeed in courses.
    • Are impractical or not feasible (e.g. unlimited time to complete exams).
  • What services are not provided through DSS?

    This is a brief, but not exhaustive, list of services not provided through DSS:

    • Providing testing & assessments to diagnosis a disability or prove eligibility for accommodations.
    • Providing access or admissions to programs or activities to students who are not otherwise qualified.
    • Reducing or altering essential requirements of a course or program of study.
    • Providing personal aids or personal care attendants.
    • Student academic success is a guarantee.
    • Tutoring services beyond what already exists to all students.
    • Providing transportation assistance.
    • Providing educational supplies, aside from access to course materials in alternate formats.
    • Exemptions to the Student Conduct Code which applies to every student.
  • In high school I had an IEP is this something I can expect to receive in college?

    The IEP you received in K-12 was provided to be compliant with the Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA) and does not apply within postsecondary education.

    In postsecondary education, we need to be compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act which does not require curriculum modifications (resulting in a fundamental change), specialized programs or IEPs.

  • What are the differences between K-12 and Postsecondary Education?
  • I’m enrolled with DSS, what next?
    1. Make contact with DSS at the beginning of each semester to pick up Special Testing Accommodation Packets and other required paperwork to initiate reasonable accommodations.
    2. Provide faculty members with your accommodation forms at the beginning of each semester.
    3. Meet the timelines and procedural requirements established by the DSS office for scheduling examinations and requesting appropriate accommodations.
    4. Notify the DSS office if you need to change your accommodations, auxiliary aids, or services.
    5. Contact DSS to discuss your needs and the need for any additional accommodations